Chapter 6, she'll be the death of me.

CATRA'S POV

The evening was going very smoothly. Too smoothly. Well, almost, I kinda like it though.

Me and Adora got most of the research done, and she was kind of sleepy, which was understandable since it was around 9 o'clock. 

She was wearing her basketball athletic t-shirt from her travel team and some basketball shorts. She was leaning on my shoulder while I was reading back our notes aloud.

The front door slammed as Shadow Weaver walked up the stairs. Her footsteps were heavy and rhythmic. She wasn't in a good mood. She never was. And when she's not in a good mood, bad things happen. Things I don't need Adora asking about.

I asked Adora as loud as I could if she understood Phsophorus's electrons. I wanted Weaver to know someone was over so she didn't embarrass herself or me.

Weaver knocked on the door frame. She never did that. She must have taken the hint. That was a good thing, but it didn't calm my nerves.

I tensed up a little, Adora noticed and looked up at me. Of course she noticed, she was Adora. I smiled and turned my attention to Mrs. Weaver.

 "You must be up the illusive Adora everyone has been talking about. I can't believe you would befriend my little Catra of all people" she smiled, her leathery old face contorting in a way it hadn't in a while, "Its late you know, your welcome to stay the night if you like."

I, nor Shadow Weaver expected her to accept , but if she did, she could brag about how her poor little orphans were going places with the best.

 "I would hate to intrude....Mrs. Weaver, correct?" Adora was trying to be polite .

 "Yes, that's right. It seems my reputation proceeds me," she grinned, " You look starved. Has Catra not offered you anything to eat? Of course she hasn't, that's my little Catra for you, " She handed me a twenty dollar bill, "Drive her to the nearest restaurant, order what you want Adora, then you can spend the night of you wish. I insist. "

She stood over me and ran her boney, dry, leather fingers, over my cheek, and under my chin. She pushed it to look into her eyes, "Grab your keys, Catra!" she drawled.

She forced  a smile and left the room. I quickly pulled on my leather riding jacket and yanked an extra helmet off of a shelf angrily. I looked over at Adora and groaned.

"You're gonna need a hoodie, at the least... and a jacket, probably." 

"I'll be fi-" 

"Trust me, you won't."

I took off my sweat shirt and tossed it to her. I was wearing a cropped ratty carhardt tee-shirt underneath. It showed some marks if i moved my shoulders or arms too fast. I put on my riding jacket as fast as I could. The longer I was uncovered, the risk her of noticing grew.

I didn't want her to see my bruises and worry. I hate being a burden to the people around me. I don't want to be like Mrs. Weaver, always complaining and blaming others for her problems. I refuse.

I marched over to my closet and realized it was still filled with trash. I snatched one of my random heavy riding jackets as fast as I could without the avalanche of crap burying me alive. I tossed her my old jacket.