Chapter 4 - the escape

It had finally come to the day where Antoinette had to leave. As for the morning she was to leave the manor, there is only her stepmother and brother to see her off, neither willingly. Her stepmother brought her in for a hug, whispering into her ear,

"This family doesn't need any memories of the first wife."

Antoinette scoffed, pushing her away, to William's anger. She climbed into the carriage, phone in the slit that she had cut into her dress. Looking about the carriage, she raised an eyebrow.

'He truly wanted to show that he had no need for many any longer, didn't he?'

Inside were her luggage of a few dresses and necessities. A noble's luggage would normally be transported separately. She put that thought aside. On her, she also had some money for the carriage ride to the centre city once she was to enter the Kou Kingdom's port. The carriage took her straight to the castle, so she could explain to the royalties her circumstances and her leave.

She was taken to a waiting room, before being summoned to the throne room, her heart beating wildly. She had never held ill feelings towards the King and Queen but never feelings of love or fondness either. Both acted with formality with her and had never tried to intervene in the game either, when Emily had gotten close with Noah and Austin, pushing Antoinette away. She entered the room and fell to a deep curtsy. A voice ordered her rise and so she did. Before her, sat the King and Queen, so humble in their attire yet so powerful. The King bore resemblance to his sons by his hair, blonde as could be. The Queen showed her features with her jewel-green, cat-like eyes, that she shared with her youngest son. The Queen was a character that Jieun had quite liked. She was someone who had always looked to be smart and conniving and it had always drawn her in. But now that she was Antoinette, she bore no feelings of any kind towards the two of them at all.

"Greetings, Your Majesties."

"Greetings, Young Lady of House Rosenburg. What business have you to say?"

The King's deep voice resounded through the empty hall. It scared her. Much more than it should have, but it didn't matter. Once this was over, she would be able to leave. Once this was over, she would be free. She stopped her trembling fingers, speaking up,

"I have come before you today to announce the changes that have come about. As of now, I will be leaving for the Kingdom of Kou."

She noticed how the Queen watchful eyes narrowed as she watched over Antoinette.

"I will also be leaving House Rosenburg"

Silence. A silence so deep that you would be able to hear a pin drop. Then a female voice resounded,

"Perhaps due to the to-be broken engagement? It's set to be annulled in a few days."

Antoinette stiffened.

"That is partially the reason, your Majesty, but the main reason I come before you today is simply to let you know."

She looked them straight in the eye. Both their faces seemed calm, but she could see the pity they held towards her- and she hated it. The King spoke up,

"Are you truly okay with this, Lady Rosenburg?"

She let go of the breathe she had unconsciously held in.

"Of course, your Majesty."

They looked at her and she looked right back at them.

"Well if that's the case then so be it. I hope to see you once more in the future, Lady Rosenburg"

said the Queen. She looked at Antoinette, a slightly amusement.

'Something about this girl has changed.'

Antoinette curtsied. She curtsied and she said her last greetings.

"I hope so too, King and Queen of Ainsworth."

With that, she was escorted out of the hall.

Antoinette quickly made her way down to the castle's exit. She was almost free. A couple hours journey, and a ship ride before she would finally be free. In her haste she bumped into a boy who was standing in middle of the corridor. She moved to apologise before she noticed who it was- Lucas Chester, one of the boys who had condemned her at the garden the only day. He looked at her, amusement showing in his shining eyes.

"Good day to you, Lady Rosenburg. What business have you in the castle?"

Antoinette looked at him, hatred showing in her cold eyes. He smiled at her obvious disgust at him.

"Why, that would be none of your business."

She swiftly moved past him, walking at a faster pace to the exit.

"I hope I don't see you again, Sir Chester."

Lucas' eyes widened. Understandably so, as until this point, Antoinette had always insisted on calling them by their first names, in an attempt to seem friendly with them. The five boys came to hate the way she tried to speak for friendly with them around Emily. As she turned the corner, blonde hair came to view, beside Lucas' own crimson red hair.

"Well, hasn't she changed?"

said Lucas, his voice dripping with laughter. Noah Ainsworth's voice answered him.

"Yes. Yes she has... I guess it's a point to make in the changing of my decision."

As Antoinette left the palace, the first prince and his aid entered the throne room with words to tell, but what our little villainess didn't know could not hurt her in the moment, as the fact that the engagement was never annulled remained a secret for only the first prince, his knight, the queen and her king.

———————————————————————

Our angel is almost to freedom! but the ties haven't been fully severed </3 and yes i'm a bit of a kpop stan haha