Chapter 21 - broken hearts will heal

An applause rang throughout the air as the two stayed bowed down towards their audience. They straightened up, and Anastasia took the hand Leonard offered, as the two went on to take the first dance per tradition. The two greeted each other once more before starting the dance. Anastasia looked up at him as they stepped, before giving a slight giggle.

"Pfft your eyes are almost looking red."

He laughed back as he twirled her around, going back to steps.

"Yeah, well, so are yours!"

The two laughed, as the dance went on. The song came to an end, as the rest of the sixth year students and the new Head Girl and Boy joined too. The ballroom door looked just as enchanting as all the other nights, the beautiful twirling flowers taking over the floor and catching the eyes of all the balcony viewers. As the second song came to an end, the two looked each other straight in the eyes as they released hands and took a step back from each other. They curtsied and bowed alongside the others. Anastasia stuck her hand out to Leo.

"You're a great best friend, Leo."

His smile softened, as he moved to grasp her hand tightly, before shaking it.

"You too, Stasia. You too."

The two shook hands, smiling, as they went to join their other friends as the adults started to dance.

The five close friends danced together the whole night, messing about and having fun. As the night went on, the moved to talk to other students and their parents. Anastasia felt happy to see Melissa's mother address the two of them with pride of their graduation and unshed tears in her eyes. Aunt Marilyn did the same, giving her a tight hug and telling her how far she had come. Anastasia felt happy. Truly happy. This was what she had always wanted- to be loved. This is what she, even as Antoinette, had longed for.

'But now I have to leave again.'

She immediately shook her head of those thoughts.

'No, I'll be back soon, I'll be home soon again.'

Anastasia soon went off to talk other adults about company matters. She told them about how she would be leaving her company by physical means to the Queen, whom she had complete faith in. Her products and manifacturing notifications would still be run by her, making sure that as the company head, she was always aware of what was happening. Some issues would be run by her and once done so, the Queen would be allowed to take necessary action. They briefly discussed her afterward plans of a company for the students to pursue their ambitions, as she told them of her dreams and aspirations. The nobles and commoners that watched her prideful face speak with excitement felt joy for themselves and their country who had gained a six year-long ally and friend.

                                  —————

That night, Anastasia would leave that hall unaware of how her best friend had fallen for her. She wouldn't know how he had looked at her with love in his eyes, and how he treasured her so much more deeply than she could have ever imagined. She wouldn't know how he had dreamt of being the one she loved, always eyes watching her. She wouldn't know how much he loved the feel of her long, silky hair, and the courageous persona she had hiding the soft and thoughtful one underneath. How he loved their teasing moments, happiest moments and their moments of weakness. How he his heart was close to bursting as they danced, and how it had almost pained at her words at the end. Most of all, she wouldn't know how he had chosen to give up, knowing that he could never be the one she would show such deep love and affection towards.

'That's for someone else. Someone that can't be me.'

But he would still love her. Now, just as a friend. He would protect her and cherish her, just as the others did, always by her side at heart- because, after all, they were always going to be the best of friends- and that's all they were meant to be.

———————————————————————

oh-

also 3K OMGAOEHSKSJ THANK YOU I'm literally not even good at writing I'm just a kid with gcse english issues🥺🥺🥺

[also I've been given the option to paint my room what colour/s could I paint it idk bUT I'm excited🥳 I'm thinking maybe a shaded of brown and white?? ]