Chapter 2: Like Nothing Ever Happened

"Hey! Amara!" Madeline calls for me. I turn around and see her running towards me. I haven't seen her since the other night, nor have I told her the things I've done.

"Trying to get away from me?" She laughs as she gets beside me. "Of course not." I roll my eyes and laugh. "You left me at that party." I raise my eyebrows. She frowns, "My brother came and got me. I tried to tell him but he insisted that I left." "It's fine, I got home okay." I blush when I think about what I did.

"What's that look for?" She laughs. I shrug my shoulders and turn to open my locker. "Okay, something happened. Tell me." She begs. I laugh and open my locker, putting my books in. I bite my lip and turn back to her. "I had sex," I whisper. Her eyes widen and she starts to smile. "No way! With who!?" She kind of yells. "Hush!" I laugh. "Colby Brock." Her face drops, "Amara, you know how he is right? He fucks and dumps." She rolls her eyes. "I'm telling you, he really likes me." I laugh.

The bell rings and she hugs me. "Just don't get too caught up with it alright? I'll see you later."

I tell her goodbye and make my way to the library, carrying my second-period books.

I sit in my usual table in the back of the library. It's the quietest back here plus there are not many people. I plug my headphones in and start working on a recent project for my economy class.

My eyes glance up as I notice the door opening, Colby walks in and I smile. I move my bookbag on the floor, offering him a chair. However, he doesn't even notice me. He walks straight past me. I frown.

Okay, maybe he just didn't see me. I'll wait until the bell rings.

I put my bag up again, going back to the project.

I work for the next hour on the project, perfecting my work. I hear the bell ring and I get up, packing all of my notes away again. As I leave I see Colby in front of me so I take the chance to catch up with him.

"Hey!" I smile and walk towards him. "Um, hey." He looks confused.

"So, I was wondering what you were doing-" He cuts me off, "Look, it was just a one-time thing. Just act like nothing ever happened, okay?" He rolls his eyes and walks away, leaving me speechless.

I stare at his back, trying to process what just happened. I snap out of it as the tears form in my eyes.

Madeline was right.