Chapter 41: Deep Sleep

-Colby-

I wake up to Cain's crying in the monitor. I groan and turn over, looking at it. He should be out of this phase, I thought he was out of this phase at least. I pull the covers off myself and walk out my room. I open Amara's door, she's still sleeping. I then go into Cain's room.

He's standing in his crib, screaming his head off. I sigh and pick him up, kissing his head. He won't stop, though, instead he starts pointing at his door.

"What?" I ask him while I frown. His green eyes catch mine for a moment before he looks back at his door. "Oh you want momma? I got you." I laugh. I walk out his room. I open Amara's door again, knocking on the wall. She doesn't move an inch. I walk over to her side. I shake her slightly, trying to be gentle. She lays there, almost cold. I look at her nightstand, a bottle stands out to me. My eyes widen and my heart speeds as I realize what they were. I set Cain down on her bed before sitting next to her, shaking her vigorously. "Amara?!" I yell.

What's happening doesn't fully hit me until I realize she isn't waking up.

"Amara!" I yell. I lean her up, trying to hear her breath. It's there, but barely. My hands shake as I reach for her phone. I dial 911, it right for only a moment.

"911 what's-"

"My girlfriend, my friend, she took something and she's not waking up." I explain quickly. Cain remains crying beside me.

"Is she responsive at all?" The operator asks.

"N-no. I can hear her breathing." My hand goes to her hair, pushing it behind her ears as I stare at her.

"What's her name and address?"

I tell her my address and Amara's name.

"We have an ambulance on the way right now. Stay with her and make sure she keeps a steady pulse. If she ever stops breathing, immediately start CPR if you know how to." She explain.

"Thank you, thank you." I hang up, putting all my focus on Amara.

I grab Cain and hold him, trying to keep him calm. I keep a hand on Amara's chest, feeling it rise and fall slowly.

It seems like hours before the EMS arrives. One questions me as they put her on the gurney.

"Sir, did you hear me?" One asks.

My eyes go back to him from watching them load her into the back of the ambulance. "I'm sorry, what did you say?" I ask him.

"Do you need me to call social services?" He asks me.

"No, he's staying with me." I hold him a little closer. He's now calmer, playing with a toy as I try to figure out what to do.

"You can meet us at the hospital." He tells me. I nod my head.

I don't waste anytime putting Cain in my car. I've already called her parents, Maddie and Sam to tell them what was happening. I back out of my driveway, following the ambulance.

When I get to the hospital her family is waiting. Rya grabs Cain from me as her mom hugs me.

"What happened?" Rya asks.

"I-I don't know. I woke up because he was crying and when I went to check on her she wouldn't wake up." My eyes water, "what if she's gone?" My voice cracks from the fear.

"She's going to be fine, I know she will." Her mom says. It's obvious they've all cried. Her mom is still crying.

"Why would she do this?" Her dad asks with his hands on his face.

"This is all my fault. If I would if just-"

"Colby, stop. Nothing is your fault. Okay?" Rya tells me.

I shake nervously in my chair. I just want to know if she's okay.

I see a doctor walk out. "Is there a Mr. Brock?" He asks the room. I raise my hand slightly before standing up. He walks over to us as he looks at some papers.

"H-How is she?" I ask. "Is she alive?"

"She's okay," we all sigh in relief, "Thankfully, there wasn't enough in her system to cause any damage. She is asleep and being monitored to make sure none of her levels change. If you'd like, we can have immediate family back." He tells us.

"I can stay with Cain, you guys go ahead." I tell her parents and Rya. If anyone should see her first it should be them.

The nurse with the doctor takes them back after Rya hands over Cain.

"And the baby?" I ask him.

He presses his lips together before looking down at the chart again. "Sadly, we couldn't find a fetal heartbeat. The extreme amount of drugs caused the babies heart to stop. She miscarried." My heart sinks.

I know, this isn't my baby. I didn't even want her to have the baby. And it's the outcome of what John did to her. But, how will she feel about it? Will she be disappointed or sad?

"Thank you." I tell him.

"You're welcome. I'll come back with any updates." He nods to me and then leaves.

I sit down, putting Cain in my lap. He's already falling back to sleep in my arms. He cradle him as his head lays on my shoulder, soft snore beginning to leave his mouth.

A tear drops as the events replay. Why would she do this to Cain? If she talked to me I could of helped her. I could of saved her. I could of been there for her.