Chapter 2

Scarlett's POV
"Thanks for the new haircut Scarlett!" Ryan called as he walked out of the shop holding his moms hand.

I smiled and waved at him, turning away to clean up once the door shut. Whistling a tune to a random song, I swept the hair up off of the floor and discarded it. I wiped down the chair and cleaned my supplies and was finishing up when my work phone rang.

"Hello this is Scarlett Johnson how can I help you?"

"Scarlett it's Kali. I couldn't get a hold of your personal so I had to call this phone. You need to get over here as soon as possible," my best friend Kali said over the phone. Her voice sounded panicked, automatically catching my attention.

"Kali what's wrong? What happened?" I asked quickly.

"I don't think you want to hear it over the phone. Just get here as soon as all of your appointments are done please," she said before she hung up.

After that, my day seemed to drag on. I only had a couple more appointments left to do when I got off of the phone with her, but I was too antsy. I needed to get there because Kali wasn't normally nervous about anything, and her tone scared me.

She sounded terrified.

An hour later I was speeding down the road. Luckily her house was only a few minutes from my shop, so it didn't take long at all before I was pulling into her driveway.

She was sitting outside on her porch, phone in her hand, and tears streaming down her face.

Quickly, I got out of the car and walked up to her. As soon as I was within arms reach she pulled me close into a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered.

"Kali what's going on?" I asked.

She shook her head. "We need to speak inside. You're going to want to sit down for this."

I followed her inside and sat next to her on her couch. Turning so I was facing her completely, I put my hand on her knee.

"Kali," I spoke slowly. "What is going on?"

Her bottom lip wobbled. "He's out of jail Scarlett. I just got the call a few minutes ago from Logan. He said that they tried their best to keep him in but someone paid a pretty good amount to get him out," she explained. I sat back against the couch and let that information sink in.

My psychotic and abusive ex-boyfriend Adam was out of jail.

"How long do I have?" I whispered.

"He got out of jail a few hours ago. You need to leave soon. We can figure out what's going to happen with the shop later, but for now we need to pack our stuff and leave."

"We?" I asked. "Kali, I'm not dragging you down with me. If he finds me and sees you with me he won't hesitate to hurt you too," I whimpered.

Kali took my hands in hers. "Scarlett, as soon as we became friends that day in high school I signed up for best friend duty. And best friends never leave each other no matter the circumstance. I'm coming with you and that's final," her tone of voice left no room for argument. "We need to start calling people. If you know someone you can call while I start packing my things, and then we'll go to your house to get your stuff. We need to make this quick."

I nodded. "I need to call my brother. He made me promise that if anything else happened with Adam then to call him." She nodded and left the room to go pack while I pulled out my phone.

I scrolled through my contacts trying not to panic. Whenever Adam was brought up it normally took everything on me to not freak out, and hearing that he was now free was not making anything better. Pressing on the call button, I held the phone up to my ear.

It rang a few times before he answered.

"Scar? Why you calling girl?" Ricky, my brother, asked.

"Ricky it's Adam. He's out of jail." The other end of the line was silent before I heard him shuffling around.

"The hell do you mean he's out of jail?" He asked.

I shook my head, knowing that he couldn't see me. "Kali called me while I was working and said to come over cause it was important. When I got here she told me that Logan said someone paid a pretty good amount in order to get him out. I need to run, and she's coming with me. Do you know anywhere that I could stay?" I asked quickly. I could here the muffled sounds of Kali packing as quick as she could.

"Scarlett you know how I'm with an MC right?" Ricky asked.

"Yes why?"

"Well," he paused. "I could ask if you and Kali could stay here until all of this is settled down. I know the Prez wouldn't mind at all, we would just need to run it by everyone else," he explained. I thought about it for a moment.

"Hold on."

Quickly, I sped walked to Kali's room and opened the door. She was busy rushing around, trying to pack as much as she could as quick as possible. "Kali, Ricky said that we could potentially stay with his MC. Would you be alright with that?" I asked, knowing that she's had an iffy past with MC's before.

She paused and bit her lip before nodding slowly. "As long as they promise that they'll behave," she ordered. She made sure that her voice was loud enough for Ricky to hear her.

I heard him chuckle. "I promise they boys will behave. They're very respectful towards woman," he said. His tone promising the truth.

We nodded at each other. "Then we'll go. We need to pack up everything first, but we should be there probably late tomorrow. Does that give you enough time to run this by the club?" I asked. Kali and I each grabbed one of her suitcases and hauled them out to my truck.

"Yeah that should be plenty. I'm sitting next to the Prez right now, so he heard everything. He's already agreed to run it by everyone tonight, and I'll let you know what everyone says. Even though it should be fine," he chuckled. I looked at Kali and the both of us raised our eyebrows. Well that was easy.
_
"You're sure you have everything right?" Kali asked me again. We were at my house packing up basically all of my things and piling them into the truck. Ricky said that he could get some guys to come up here and get anything else that we couldn't fit.

I nodded. "Yup. This is the last box," I picked it up and set it in the backseat. We were quickly able to fill up the bed of the truck, and the backseats were packed with our stuff.

"Finally!" Kali cries as she wiped imaginary sweat from her forehead.

I laughed. "Come on, we need to get moving."
_______________________
"I swear to fucking god if you don't stop singing I'm kicking you out of the truck and you can walk the rest of the way," I warned. Kali stopped her dreadful singing and pouted from the passenger seat.

"Buzz kill," she grumbled. I shook my head with a smile.

We had just left the state and still had two more to cross before we reached the compound. Kali and I both agreed that we would switch once whoever was driving got tired so we didn't have to stop at a hotel for the night.

I rolled my eyes. "Why don't you take a nap since you're going to be driving later?" I asked. She laughed and shook her head before turning onto her side and falling asleep rather quickly.

I shook my head and focused on driving. However, my thoughts continued to run wild.

Who on earth would have paid so much money to get him out? What would he do once he found me? How would the club react to us showing up?

Question after question ran through my mind, each of them causing a wave of anxiety to pass through me. I gripped the steering wheel tighter.

This was going to be a long ride.