Chapter 20

•ALPHA•
Fuck I'm old

I thought as I rolled out of bed the next morning. My back was so unbelievably sore, and the worst part was that I had no clue as to what I had done.

It felt as if someone was continually punching the lower portion of my back, and it was starting to irritate me.

My thoughts were interrupted by someone knocking on the door. Sighing, I walked over quickly and pulling the door open, coming face to face with Spider and Ripper. They each had very serious expressions, worsening my mood immediately.

"What happened?" I asked, watching their reactions carefully. Both of their bodies were extremely tense, their eyes guarded.

"We found her," Ripper stated.

Immediately I stood up straighter and followed them down the hallway into my office.

"Where is she?" I asked.

Spider took a deep breath and pulled up a screen on his laptop.

"We were able to find out her credit card information, and tracked where she was spending it. She's a couple states away, and she's been there for around a week now it looks like so we don't know when or if she will move. She might be hunkering down right there because she thinks she's safe, so we should probably make our move soon," he explained. The whole time he was explaining Ripper was silent. And I mean, I would be too if the people I was involved with was hunting down my mother who tortured me for years.

"Spider, can you give us a moment please?" I asked, my eyes never leaving Ripper who continued to stare at the laptop screen. Spider nodded and with a glance towards the both of us he walked out, shutting the door to my office behind him.

I stared at Ripper for a moment longer before sighing and standing up straight.

"How're you feeling? Be honest."

He sighed softly before taking a seat in one of the chairs that was in my office. Over the years I had gotten good a reading people's expressions and emotions, and at that moment I could see the amount of stress that he was trying to hide.

"It's not me who I'm worried about," he started. "Ever since I found out that my mother was trying to pull a bunch of shit the only person I've been worried about is Lilly. I have nightmares every single night now and I know she hears them but I can't bring myself to talk about them, knowing that she'll just stare at me with a look of pity which is the last thing I want. I love her Alpha. I know that I do. I just don't want her to get mixed up in this and end up hurt."

He placed his head in his hands and groaned in despair. I felt pride in knowing that my daughter had found herself a man who will love and protect her for the rest of her life like I know Ripper will, but it made me depressed knowing that neither of them know how to talk about these issues with each other.

I walked over to him and crouched down, forcing him to be eye level with me.

"You listen to me and you listen to me damn well. I get that you're scared. But have you ever doubted your ability to protect my daughter?"

A guarded look came across his face along with a murderous glint in his eyes.

"No."

"You'll do anything to protect her right?"

"Yes."

"You will make her feel safe, loved and cherish correct?"

"Of course."

"Then stop it. Talk to her about your concerns. Keeping it all in does nothing to help out either of you." My tone was stern so I knew that I was getting my point across. Even though the man in front of me was mature enough to not need a talking to, I knew that he needed a father figure in his life still that he could go to for advice.