Chapter Three

There he was standing over me frozen. Not saying a word with his hand still in firing position.

But the only difference was that he didn't have that blank monotone expression he usually had. He looked distraught and shocked. And I was even the more shocked when tears fell from his eyes as his lip trembled.

He had worn a robe with plaid pajama pants with slippers indicating hole had just gotten out of bed. Not to mention the bed head.

That's when I knew he didn't mean to kill that boy.

He was protecting me.

I looked up at him with my eyes watering as he quietly lowered his weapon until it was no longer pointed at me still. He dropped it to the ground and the crash created a sound that echoed out in the courtyard.

He dropped to his knees and let his head fall into his hands when I heard him softly sob to himself. I didn't know what to do due to me still being in shock but I did what any reasonable person would've done after someone had saved their life.

I crawled over to him and wrapped my arms around his body pulling him into a tight hug as he cried on my shoulder.

I have no idea how to fucking function right now knowing Mr. Styles had saved me from being killed by drunk angry teenagers and here I was hugging him as he cried.

"It's okay." I croaked out knowing that he didn't mean it.

I did notice the burning grass patch behind him from the bottle I seen earlier the dropped tools from the guys.

I didn't know what to do just yet but I thought making sure he was okay was far more important.

"Why are you still here?" I hear his deep voice say from underneath me. I actually didn't really know why I was still here. But I know that this was a freak accident.

"You saved my life." I tell him and he pulled away sitting down on the pavement resting his arms on his knees and in the moonlight I could see his tears eyes.

"I wouldn't have had to if you didn't come down here." He grumbles and I remember that I came down here to practically stop an angry mob that potentially could've burned the mansion to the ground.

"Well, they were wrong and I wasn't going to just let it happen." I tell him still couched down at his level. He looks to me with a relieved expression before he reached up and wiped his tears.

We both look over to the guy slowly bleeding out knowing that he died as soon as the shot entered him and sat in silence. I've never seen a dead body.

So at this moment I didn't know what to do so I turned to ask Mr. Styles.

"What are we going to do?" I say and he looks to me with a frown.

"I don't know, I've never killed anyone before." He says and I almost snicker at the irony of that comment due to the entire town convincing themselves he killed his sister.

I looked at how the situation would unfold before I made any decision. The town would see a guy dead, beat up teen and scary man that has lived here for years with some made up Bates curse with his fingerprints all over a shotgun and automatically believe he had to have done something.

"Maybe we just call the cops and tell the truth." He says from where he was sitting still staring at the lifeless boy.

"That would never work. They'd crucify you by sunrise." I say and I push myself to stand up on my feet before I turn to him and reach my hand out for him to grab.