Introducing

For Avi it was just another day, another evening that he had to spend in the staff room on the ground floor of the castle and was therefore considered wasted to him, another day in the large chair in front of the fireplace, away from the others, hidden behind the Daily Prophet.

The other teachers in the room were talking, he heard a bottle being opened, probably oak-matured mead but he really couldn't care less, then someone laughed and Avi wished he could follow his eyes as they rolled up and almost until he saw the back of his head. He didn't want to be in the staff room. He wanted to be in the dungeons, in front of his own little fireplace, surrounded by stacks of old, in leather bound books and parchment, with his cauldrons in the background.

The heavy, wooden door swung open and soon everyone who had been talking fell silent.

"Good evening, everyone" a soft voice said and Avi sighed. The headmaster. "I am pleased to see all of you in good health and back at the castle, ready for the new school year. The students will board the train tomorrow and start their journey to Hogwarts but before they get here I would like to welcome back three former students who have, for now, finished their research and additional studies in Ilvermorny to become teachers. Professor Scott Hoying, a former Gryffindor who will focus on Charms-"

Avi heard footsteps and his colleagues clapped to welcome the man while he didn't move an inch and kept his eyes on the dark letters printed on the daily prophet.

"And his dear friend Mitch Grassi, a true Slytherin, who will be teaching Defense Against The Dark Arts." Another round of applause followed. "Last but not least I would like to introduce Kirstin Maldonado who most of you know. She will be teaching Transfiguration as I decided to step back to focus on my studies and Minerva will take over as the new Headmistress."

A woman gasped and Avi sighed again. Of course Minerva had to mother her. "Miss Maldonado! It's wonderful to welcome you back at Hogwarts."

"Thank you, Professor! I'm delighted to be here!"

"She is a former head girl from Ravenclaw" Minerva explained to the other teachers and couldn't stop smiling. Kirstie had always been her favorite and she was happy to have her back and teach the subject Minerva had taught herself for many, many years. "She passed all of her N.E.W.T.s with straight O's, just like Professor Olusola a couple of years prior."

The bearded man heard the legs of the heavy, wooden chairs scraping over the floor when some of his colleagues sat down. They picked up the conversation where they had left off and the new Professors joined. But Avi didn't care about them, he was just happy to have his peace and quiet on the last day of his summer break which he had spent in the dense forests of Russia.

Kevin, one of his colleagues he appreciated the most because he just let him be, approached him while the contents of another bottle of mead filled up the cups at the table. "Avriel? Come sit with us" he urged and kneeled down in front of the man while he gently pushed down the newspaper Avi was holding.

The man frowned. "No."

"Why not?"

"Why should I? I don't know them, I don't care about them, they don't care about me, I have no interest in sitting at this table."

Kevin looked at him before he chuckled. "You're hiding. You hate the Daily Prophet. Come and sit with us please. It's fun, I know Kirstie, Mitch and Scott from when we were students, they are a couple of years younger than me. We went to Hogwarts together and I think-"

"Kevin..." Avi began and looked at him first, then at the small barn owl sitting on the man's shoulder. "I really don't care."

"But I do. You need friends."

"I have you."

"But- Avi, come on."

The bearded man shook his head and raised the Daily Prophet again to shield himself from Kevin. "I didn't go to school here. I'm not like the others. I am an outsider, Kevin. Always been, always will be. Now would you please leave me alone so I can read the newspaper?"

The dark skinned man looked at Avi before he pressed his lips together and left. He sat down next to Scott, the tall, blonde man, and reached for an untouched cup of mead. "He's not in the mood to talk. But maybe soon."

"That's fine. I'd just like to meet him. His books are amazing and when I found out that he taught here I couldn't wait to see him."

Mitch, the smaller dark haired man next to him pushed his fringe to the side and sighed before he raised the cup of mead. "He's not the only smart man out there, Scott."

"But he is the master of potions already, at such a young age."

"Excuse you? We are in our mid twenties and he is supposedly a couple of years older? Honey, he's not young anymore." The skinny man swallowed the mead and then turned away to talk to Kirstin.

The woman was startled at first since she had been stuck in her head for quite a few minutes, trying to figure out why there was such a weird aura surrounding the large chair in front of the fireplace, but she focused on Mitch and listened to what he had to say.

For exactly 23 seconds before she got up and walked over to the fireplace. "Hi" she said and stood in front of the chair. "I am Kirstie. It's nice to meet you! You know, your aura is really ruining the whole vibe here so I'd appreciate if you'd leave and let us enjoy our first evening at the castle" she said bluntly but kept smiling kindly.

Avi was irritated and slowly lowered the newspaper. He thought about growling or even hexing her to hell but instead he nodded, folded the newspaper neatly before throwing it into the flames. Then he turned around and left.