Assuming

"You know, sometimes I feel like he can't feel anything but anger. I don't remember seeing him smile once, he doesn't laugh, he doesn't cry. His facial expression doesn't change unless he is angry and starts snapping at people." Scott brought his hand up and ran his fingers through his messy quiff.

"Sir has never snapped at Winky. Not once. Sir ignores her most of the time. But one time Winky found him in bed in his clothes and then she put the blanket over him and he had a little smile on his face. Winky thinks that Sir was really happy that someone was there and helped him get warm. Winky thinks that Sir wants a friend."

"But he doesn't allow others to get close to him, Winky. I've been trying but Avi always pushes me back."

"Then Sir Scott has to try harder. Winky doesn't want Sir to be sad on Christmas again."

"I don't want that either. I promise you that Avi won't be sad on Christmas, okay?" He reached out and gently took both of Winky's hands. "I promise. Can I ask you one last question?"

"Yes! Of course, Sir Scott!"

"Can you tell me more about Durmstrang? Do you know someone who has attended the school?"

Winky frowned. "Yes, Sir has attended Durmstrang. Otherwise Winky doesn't know anyone. Winky is sorry, Sir Scott."

But the wizard shook his head. "No, no need to be sorry. Thank you so much for helping me. I got these for you when I was in London, I hope you like them.." He pulled out a pair of pink socks from one of the pockets of his cloak and handed them to the house elf.

Winky couldn't hold back a squeak. "Are they for me, Sir Scott?"

"Yeah! All yours. I heard that sometimes the hard working elves who prepare all these amazing dishes get cold ears, especially in winter, and I just wanted to give you something to keep 'em warm."

She took his hand and shook it, then bowed. "Thank you!"

"You're very welcome, Winky." He watched as the elf pulled the socks over its ears and grinned proudly.

"So much warmer already!"

Scott said his goodbyes and headed back up and towards the library to look for books about the Wizarding schools in Europe. On the way there he ran into Kevin, who, as expected, held a stack of books which all tumbled to the floor.

"Oh God, sorry!" the blonde wizard said quickly and helped him pick them up.

But Kevin just smiled. "No worries. Are you on the way to the library? I thought you aren't interested in books."

"Who told you that?" Scott chuckled and handed the books back to his colleague. "I like books."

"Mitch."

"Of course it was Mitch. He likes to prank me. Anyway, can I borrow these?" He held up a copy of 'History of Bulgaria' together with 'Purebloods in Eastern Europe'. "I want to do some research."

The former Ravenclaw shrugged. "Sure, go ahead." He didn't ask any other question but was aware that Scott's interest in reading about the country in the east was based on his want to befriend the grumpy Potion Master.

Scott spent the rest of the day on his couch with his nose stuck inside the books. He read about the tradition of the use of Dark Arts in Pureblood families, all different kinds of spells and potions - Scott was sure that Avi could identify all of them just by the smell - and their education at Durmstrang. Some lines even included a description of the style of teaching there, the rewards for good performances in Quidditch or class, but not once was Scott able to find any hints on punishments.

He fell asleep with the book on his chest that night, in front of the cracking fire, and it was already morning when he woke up again by the sound of someone knocking against the wooden door. Scott needed a second to realize what was happening before he realized that the person in front of the door had to be Avi. He quickly got up, hid the books under the couch and ran his hand through his quiff before he opened the door.

"Finally" the bearded man grumbled and quickly slipped past Scott into the living room when he heard the clicking of the heels of Mitch's boots on the floor in the hallway. "Took you long enough."

"I was asleep" the Charms teacher mumbled and yawned before he shut the door. "Good morning to you too."

But Avi was already at the table and rolled up his sleeve. He removed the bandage while Scott made his way over to the open kitchen.

"Tea?"

"No."

"C'mon Avi."

"Scott, it hurts. I had to feed the plant yesterday and the wound is- she went to deep."

"Oh, it's a she?" Scott asked and sighed. He took two mugs, filled them with a teabag each and topped it off with water. Then he washed his hands, made his way to the table and slid one mug to Avi before he gently reached around Avi's wrist and turned his arm to have a look at the wound. "Oh boy...she went ham on you" he mumbled. Scott was shocked to see the dark veins shimmering through his pale skin and ran his thumb over it.

Avi flinched and bit down on his lip to keep himself from screaming out in pain.

"Avriel...why didn't you come over yesterday?"

"I- I didn't want to bother you."

"You could never bother me" Scott said softly and pulled the small tray with disinfectant, the tweezers he had used two days before and some gauze pads. "Are you on any potions at the moment? Can I give you something for the pain?"

Avi hummed and focused on the man's warm fingers on his wrist, gently touching his skin. "I think it should be okay by now. Is it something else I made and you took from Poppy? Without asking?"

The Charms professor frowned and wanted to say something but when he looked up at Avi he saw something that resembled a faint smile on his lips.

"Just kidding."

Right then Scott's frown turned into a grin. "Good one" he said and suddenly realized how beautiful Avi was when he smiled.