Trying

It was Scott's third night at the hospital in which he has gotten comfortable in the small bed behind Avi while he held him close against his chest and spooned him.

Even though Avi has gotten a lot better over the past few days, he wasn't seizing as much anymore - mainly due to how tired his body was - and he had a better time focusing on Scott's voice, he still couldn't trust his senses. The man communicated mainly by soft grunts as his tongue still felt too heavy to move and his sight was still blurry. 

Then, on Monday morning shortly before sunrise, a team of healers pulled the curtains apart and woke the two men.

Scott sat up immediately when he spotted Newt's face in the back. "Did it work?"

"I hope so" the other wizard said and approached Avi. He was still asleep with the thin blanket pulled up all the way to his nose, and even when Newt pulled it down he didn't stir. "I didn't have a chance to test it on anyone and I am by no means a good potion brewer." Newt uncorked the vial while Scott woke Avi by squeezing his shoulder. 

Just a week ago Avi hadn't even allowed himself to get even close to a somewhat deep sleep and now he barely noticed Scott pulling him up and back against his chest, just how he had fed him the evening before. He groaned when Scott's hand covered his warm forehead and kept his head from falling to the side or forward again. 

"Avi, focus" he mumbled and took the vial from Newt, held it against the man's lips. He slowly tilted the vial back as much as possible and watched as the liquid disappeared between his lips. "Good job. Now swallow. C'mon." 

But instead of following Scott's command Avi allowed some of the liquid to drip from his lips all over his bare chest and the blanket. 

The baritone reacted immediately and moved his hand to push against Avi's chin while his fingers covered his mouth. "Avriel, please" he mumbled and shifted to allow the Potion Master to bring his head back. 

Newt and the healers kept watching while Scott took care of the poisoned teacher and eventually made him swallow the potion. 

"Keep him upright, Scott" Newt said at some point after the healers had left. "We don't know about possible side effects and he shouldn't throw it up." He sat down on the chair and sighed. "I removed the plant from the castle and I doubt that Minerva will allow it to return anytime soon." 

"Which is understandable" the tall blonde mumbled and leaned against the wall to give Avi the chance to get as comfortable as possible again. "Did she say anything? About Avi? The replacement?"

"No, not really. There will be someone covering for him until the new year, that's all I've heard. To give Avi a chance to get back on his feet. She wouldn't allow him to teach anywhere else. Minerva is not only protective of her students but of her staff as well." 

Scott nodded and rested his chin on Avi's head while he played with one of the thin braids. "I know. Still, he should've told her. How long do you think it'll take for him to get better? I have to go back to the castle tomorrow morning."

Newt shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know, Scott. But he's in good hands here, he'll be fine without you for a bit." 

The day felt longer than a whole month and when the last student left Scott's classroom he locked the door immediately and made his way to the office. From there he used a shortcut to reach his chambers - mainly to avoid Minerva in the hallway - and after a quick shower he ripped something to wear out of his closet. Right when he reached out to open the door he noticed Winky sitting on his couch. 

He sighed softly and walked over to her. "Winky? Hey, what are you doing here?" the teacher asked softly. 

"Winky has been wondering" she began and sniffled softly, "if Sir ever comes back?" She reached for the shirt made out of towels and blew her nose. "Winky misses Sir a lot."

"I miss him too, Winky." Scott began. "But he's not ready to come home again. Not yet. We have to be a little more patient, okay?" He reached for a tissue and handed it to her. 

The elf thanked him and blew her nose again. Her bat like ears were hanging down and her big, tennisball like eyes were still filled with tears. 

"Winky, I promised you that Avi wouldn't be alone this Christmas and I am keeping my promise. For how long have you been sitting here?"

"Three days" she mumbled and blinked. "First in Sir's chambers and when he didn't come back at night I waited for you." 

Scott took her hands and squeezed them lightly. "I've been with Avi the whole time. He's improving, but it takes time. And once he is back in the castle he might spend more time here and then we would be delighted to be fed by you, okay? I'll come to the kitchen once we're back and I'll let you know. Please don't sit here and wait all by yourself. The other elves in the kitchen need your help and they can cheer you up a bit." 

The elf nodded lightly and wiped her nose again once Scott let go of her hands. "Thank you, Scott." 

"You're more than welcome, Winky. You're a great elf and we love and appreciate you a lot. And I'm pretty sure Avi misses your wonderful breakfast more than his lab."

Just half an hour after the conversation with the house elf Scott entered St. Mungo's and made his way up to the first floor, where patients with injuries caused by creatures were treated. He greeted the healers and walked over where Avi's bed stood hidden behind the curtains, but when Scott pushed one aside the bed was empty and the bearded man gone.