Feeding

Since I haven't written a Darkness chapter today I decided to update this instead and give you an extra one. Enjoy!

Scott was shocked when he heard these words coming from Avi's mouth. He didn't know how to react at first, but then he slowly shook his head and patted the man's hair back before he got up. "You're wrong, Avi."

"I'm never wrong" the professor said and he would've sat up if he hadn't been so cold and exhausted.

"This time you are. Let's get you to bed. You can't stay on the couch all night." Even though he was by now fed up with Avi's behavior Scott helped him up and, after some protest, brought him to the connected bedroom. "I don't care about whatever is standing around" he muttered and helped Avi to sit down on the mattress.

The room was illuminated by another fire in the fireplace on the other side of the room, opposite of the bed made out of black walnut wood. Just like in the living room bookshelves covered the majority of the walls, a door close to the bed led to the bathroom and the floor was covered by a large rug. It smelled of sandalwood, old parchment and - Scott was surprised - coconut. It wasn't overpowering, just subtle, but he couldn't help but smile.

"Stop grinning" Avi grumbled and laid down before he pulled the striped dark green flannel duvet over his body, all the way up to under his nose. The man almost disappeared in his big pillow and seemed to hide. "I'm in bed now, you can leave."

"I'm not leaving. I'm staying to make sure you're okay, if you want it or not." He got up and walked out of the room, through the living room and to Avi's private laboratory. "Where do you keep your Dreamless Sleep potions?"

"Far away from your hands. Get out of my lab!"

But Scott ignored him and went through the neatly labeled and sorted vials, admiring his huge collection of both common and rare potions. While he went through his stash he found vials that weren't labeled, something rather uncommon for the neat and organized Potion Master. The man pulled himself away and came back with the purple potion in one hand and another one in the other which Avi identified as a Pepperup Potion. "Here, take both. You have to teach tomorrow."

Avriel took a deep breath to stay calm, but also because he struggled to get oxygen into his body. "Can you uncork them?" he asked and pushed himself up, hiding his shaky hands under the blanket.

Scott held one after the other to his lips, waited for Avi to drink the potions and then put the empty vials to the side. "Okay? Anything else?"

"I have to feed the plant.."

"I can take care of that. Where do you keep the bugs?"

"No bugs.." he mumbled and began to roll up the right sleeve of his shirt, revealing his pale skin and countless of bite marks similar to what Scott had seen in a textbook about the Common Vampire once. Some of the wounds seemed to be infected and healed slowly, while others had closed already, showing nothing but two light red dots. Avi hated to share these details with his colleague but he was aware that Scott was the only one who could help him right now, keeping him from ruining the whole experiment he had worked on for so long.

Scott was shocked after he put two and two together and realized what Avi was trying to say. "No fucking way, Avi. Are you serious? What- why?!"

"Help me up! My oxygen levels are dropping, it's the best time to feed. You can either help me or get the fuck out of here" the Potion Master growled and sat up. Much to his surprise the other teacher didn't hesitate for a single second.

He brought his hands under Avi's armpits and helped him to stand up. "I'm only helping you because I expect an explanation of whatever you're working on asap and why you're using your own body for it. No study can be more important than your own body, Avi."

"Bollocks. It's just transport. I'm not here for a long time anyway."

Scott frowned but decided to stay silent and helped the man to his laboratory. The potions slowly started to kick in and Avriel didn't seem as weak as before, yet the Potion Master still allowed Scott to support half of his weight. Together they made their way through the room to the plant sitting on a shelf right above the sink in the corner. It seemed as it was sleeping, with its large, purple and black head tucked under a set of rather broad, thin and spiny leaves but once the two men got closer it peeked out from under them and let out a low growl.

"Don't freak out" Avi mumbled and pulled his sleeve further up before he extended his arm and offered the pale underside of his arm. The plant suddenly lashed out and wrapped its tendrils around Avi's limb until the skin bulged before it sunk its form the head protruding teeth into his flesh. The man grunted in pain and tensed.

And Scott couldn't do anything but watch. He tightened his grip around Avi's midsection and moved behind him, allowing the bearded man to rest his head against his shoulder while he saw his colleagues skin getting even more pale. "How much longer?" he asked worriedly but right then the plant pulled back and tucked its head back under the leaves.

"Not much" Avriel just said and took a deep, shaky breath. He was, quite literally, drained. "Bed" he just mumbled and was suddenly glad for Scott who brought him back to the bedroom and even tucked him in. He felt himself developing a soft spot for the tall, handsome professor and barely registered the warm hand touching his forehead, tucking a braid and some loose hair back before Avi gave in and fell asleep.

"I'll stay with you" Scott whispered and watched the man close his eyes. Avi deserved to rest, more than anyone else, and after Scott carefully tucked the edges of the blanket under his body to keep warm he walked to the living room and laid down on the couch.