Recovering

Scott frowned. He turned around, made his way over to one of the healers and was about to ask for Avi when he saw the man leaning on the young woman he had met a few days ago on the hallway. The baritone approached them immediately and reached around Avi's side to pick him up. "Got you" he mumbled and held him close while the young healer smiled at him. Avi didn't protest, he just rested his head on the man's shoulder and exhaled. 

"Thank you" she said and held the curtain open. "He's still weak, but his eyesight and hearing are getting better."

"Yeah?" Scott asked and lowered the man back down onto the mattress. "How are you feeling, Avi?" He noticed that the bandages were either missing or had been replaced by new ones. 

The man cleared his throat and buried his cheek back into the pillow. "Doing okay" he just mumbled and kept his eyes closed. For a moment Avi had thought about what to say, but he still felt rather weak and not in the mood to pick a fight. Now that his head worked properly again and he was able to think all the memories of punishments and other incidents at school came back and cornered him again. Just a few hours ago, when everything had been foggy and slow in his brain, his subconscious had enjoyed the warmth and comfort coming from the man as he hadn't been able to think about the consequences his behavior could have for him. 

"That's good." Scott reached out and tucked his hair back, then smoothed it out. "I talked to Winky. She's waiting for you to come back home."

"Am I even allowed?"

"Of course. Minerva would never fire you." 

"I-" Avi paused. He had wanted to argue because if he had been the Headmaster keeping a blood sucking plant hidden in the dungeons would definitely mean finding someone else to each the topic almost immediately as he wouldn't allow anything even close to this under the roof of his school. The Potion Master exhaled and slightly gripped the pillow. He would've appreciated Scott behind him, it had gotten cold after the fever, but then again Avi would never even think of asking the man. However, he didn't have to. 

Scott had noticed his shaky breath and his tense shoulders and after slipping out of his shoes he got in bed right behind Avi. "It's okay" the man whispered and placed his hand on Avi's upper arm after spooning him. "You're allowed to be comfortable and have company, Avi." 

The bearded man teared up. He silently cursed himself for showing emotions but then again, after he had managed to push the threatening and loud voices of his former teachers away, he relaxed against Scott's chest and let go of the pillow. "Thank you" Avi replied barely audible and was thankful for his friend's warm hand moving towards his hand to hold it. Scott was...his friend. 

Scott spent as much time as possible at the hospital. He traveled to Hogwarts to teach and, after receiving a written complaint by owl from Mitch, he met him for a cup of coffee in Mitch's chambers. 

"Sorry" the baritone mumbled and scratched the back of his head. "I've been busy."

"I know. Still, it would've been nice to at least see you at some point and maybe get an update as well. How is Avi doing?"

"Better. Newt's potion did wonders and the healers are positive that he can come back home on Sunday. He's still in bed most of the time, his muscles are sore from the seizures and he's having a hard time with his balance, but otherwise things are overall good. Food is still an issue but Avi is back to his nasty behavior whenever something doesn't go the way he want it to go." 

Mitch chuckled and handed Scott a cup filled with coffee. Together they sat down in front of the fireplace. "I'm not surprised and I wouldn't want to be a healer there at the moment. How is he behaving when you're there?"

"Surprisingly calm, to be honest. He doesn't complain that much, but then again we usually just sit in silence and read" Scott mumbled. "I brought some books with me for him to dig into while I'm gone and he seems to enjoy them. At least he hasn't thrown one at me yet." He raised the cup to his lips and took a sip.

"That's nice. I kinda miss having him there. Everyone is so happy and...it sometimes gets a little too much. Kirstie is excited for him to come back too."

"She's just nosy and wants to see where things are heading with Avi and me.." 

Mitch raised an eyebrow. "So, there's more than you're willing to share with us?"

Scott shrugged and looked at his friend before he turned his head again and watched the foamy bubbles on his drink disappear. "Actually? Not really, no. We- we cuddle at night. He waits for me to spoon him before he lays down. It's just a small detail but that's how Avi communicates, that's how I can read him at least a little. He lashes out every now and then, yes, but there's usually a reason behind it. When he threw his cup of water yesterday he was in horrible pain from one of the potions, but he struggles to explain what's going on. I think his emotions are just all over the place and he has never really learned how to handle them. That's why he can be so extreme sometimes." 

"Which doesn't make things easier for you two, huh?"

"I mean- no, not really. But then again he has vulnerable and soft moments where he wants me to hold him a little tighter and he just tugs on my hand. For now it's the small things, Mitchy. And once he's back home we can work on the rest. I'm just happy he's doing better. I would've never forgiven myself if he hadn't made it."