Running

But Avi had declined and asked to be left alone. He didn't teach the following two weeks and spent his time either in bed, in his lab or in front of the fireplace on the couch, reading and researching, and frequently saw Poppy in the hospital wing to take care of the wound. Of course he didn't tell her how it had happened, but since Minerva was aware of his injury she wanted the mediwitch to keep an eye on it which, essentially, left Scott without a good reason to see Avi.

He checked in every now and then, roughly once a week, but with Mitch being in a relationship and him spending most of his free time away from Hogwarts Scott was usually found in the Astronomy Tower with Kirstie. It was December, Christmas was approaching and felt like he was running out of time to fulfill the promise he gave Winky.

"And how are things with your man?" Kirstie asked a few days before the start of December. They were sitting in her private rooms in front of the fireplace and held a mug of hot chocolate.

"I- I don't know. I haven't seen him in over two weeks. The last time he was rather busy with a potion order from St. Mungo and I gave him some space."

"But he's not busy anymore, isn't he?"

Scott shrugged. "I don't know. He'll come when he's ready, Kirstie. When I met Kevin yesterday he said that Avi was planning to collect ingredients tonight. After all-"

"We have a full moon, yes." Kirstie sipped some of the hot chocolate and leaned back. Her hair was in a low and rather messy bun, she was wearing a dark blue hoodie and a celestial blanket covered her legs. "Still, I think you should go and check on him tonight."

"How, when he's not here?"

The woman sat up and sighed softly before she wiped some of the black lipstick residue from the edge of the cup she was holding and then suddenly spaced out.

"Kirstie?" he asked and took her cup, put both his and her's on the coffee table. "Kirstie, what-" He was used to her spacing off here and there, but the feeling in his stomach was different than usual.

She blinked and looked at him with her eyes wide with fear. "Avi. He's in the Forbidden Forest. You have to go and find him."

"Kirstie-"

"Go!" She urged and then spaced out again.

Scott didn't know what to do. After leaving the castle he made his way to the dark forest behind Hagrid's hut, wondering about the absence of Dementors which usually roamed the ground, and then disappeared between the trees. The forest was big, too big and too dangerous, even for him as a teacher, and for a brief moment he wondered if it would've been smart to ask Hagrid to come with him until he realized that he didn't have time to stand around. He had to find Avi.

And so he headed deeper and towards the core of the dense forest, subconsciously following his nose and the cold air. The Charms teacher was gripping his wand to the point where his knuckles were hurting. "Avi?" he yelled over and over again, scaring away some crows. It was winter and puddles of water from the last heavy rainfall were already halfway frozen, but the closer he got to the Potion Master the colder it got, to the point where Scott doubted that the temperature he was experiencing was naturally occurring in England.

He pulled his cloak tighter around his body and kept walking. When the wizard looked up he found the clouds illuminated by the bright moon behind them and to his horror what seemed to be a dozen dementors heading north, not taking any notice of him. Avi. He had to hurry.

Scott followed them through the woods until he heard the dull thudding of hooves on the muddy ground. He pointed the illuminated tip of his wand at the creature, ready to defend himself, until he noticed a familiar face. "Firenze, oh God."

"Mr. Hoying, I am on the way to the castle. Professor Kaplan is in grave danger."

"I know." He said breathlessly. "Where is he? The Dementors-"

"He isn't strong enough to fight them off." The centaur said and offered Scott his back. "I'll show you the way. We don't have much time."

He held onto the man's shoulders with his wand still in his hands, ready to cast his Patronus. When they reached a small clearing and Firenze came to a halt he looked around and slid off his back, only to find Avi near a tree on his back and one of the Dementors hovering right above him. While the centaur kept his distance, Scott roared "Expecto Patronum" and right then and there a silver thunderbird manifested from the smoke coming from his wand.

It rose up into the air, screeched and flattered before it dove down and forced the creatures surrounding the Potion Master away. It was fourth the size of Avi, but when it came to rest it landed next to him and gently covered his body with his massive wing, keeping him safe and protected while a small, weakly shimmering light slowly returned back to his parted lips. Avi's head fell to the side and his body went lax when it sunk completely and disappeared.

Scott approached him quickly and got down on his knees to get Avi off the cold and muddy floor. His hair was dirty and the curls messy and his pale skin appeared to be even paler than usual, drawing attention to the few wrinkles and made him look older than he really was.

"Avriel?" The wizard whispered and held him close against his chest. "It's me, Scott. Firenze is here too. We'll take you back home." He looked back to the centaur. "Do you think I can apparate to the headmistresses office with him?"

Firenze nodded. "Yes. But you have to stay focused. Don't splinter."

"Of course not. Thank you, Firenze. For your help."

"You're welcome, Mr. Hoying. Take good care of him."

With the silver thunderbird Avi and Scott disappeared as well and just a moment later the Charms Professor stumbled out of the fireplace and right into Minerva's arms.