Caring

Everything was blurry. Avi didn't understand what was going on, he kept blinking to clear his vision, but it felt as if it only got worse. The burning pain was still there, shooting through his body, making his muscles twitch, but he knew that he wasn't alone. The gentle and cool touch helped him to focus and kept him from slipping into another episode of seizures and heat.

"Hey Avi.." he heard again, this time more clearly, and slowly tilted his head to bring it closer to where the noise was coming from. It seemed familiar, yet he couldn't tell who was with him and more importantly, where he himself was. The mattress underneath his body felt hard and damp, not like the one he had been used to before as his back ached - Avi groaned when his headache came back and forced him back against the pillow. Then, just moments later, a cold hand came in touch with his overheated skin, right against the side of his face, and the Potion Master almost melted against the gentle touch. It felt good, so good that he grunted in protest when the hand disappeared a few moments later.

"No" he slurred in protest and wanted to push himself up. His vision was still blurry and he reached out shakily to find the hand again, but all he got was the pillow against the back of his head again.

"Avriel, rest."

Scott. It was Scott who had been talking to him and tears filled his eyes, threatened to spill when he felt the man's soft lips on his forehead again. He still couldn't understand what he was saying, but hearing his voice was enough to calm him down. His body was still fighting, it hurt so bad that he wanted to scream, but Scott's presence made everything bearable.

The tall man smiled lightly when he noticed Avi reacting to his voice. His limbs kept twitching and he kept seizing, but it wasn't as extreme as before and even the nurse who came to check on them half an hour later was surprised to find the Potion Master with his eyes closed under his blanket again while he enjoyed Scott petting his hair back.

"He's way calmer" Scott mumbled and looked at the woman. "Am I allowed to stay overnight?"

"Of course, as long as you don't interrupt his healing process."

The baritone shook his head. "No, of course not. But he's been by himself all his life. I think he deserves some company, especially now." He reached for the damp cloth again and covered Avi's forehead with it.

Kirstie traveled back to Hogwarts two hours ago. Avi's temperature has been on the way down, the potions and creams had started to have its effect on his body and she had a good feeling about Scott staying the night there. Back at the castle the woman informed Minerva about Avi's improvement.

"He's way better, Minerva" Kirstie said and reached out for the steaming mug filled with tea. "I didn't think he would make it."

The elderly witch nodded slowly, pursed her lips and crossed her legs. "Avriel is smart. He's one of the smartest wizards I've ever met. But I would've never expected him to grow such a...a monster! Inside the castle! It could've killed students!"

"It was never his intention to let anyone know about it. And I doubt that he expected her to grow that big. He lost control, Minerva. And that happens. And he's paying for it with his body, possibly with his life. Who knows."

"The ministry is not happy" the Headmistress said and looked at the woman.

"Since when does Hogwarts care about the ministry?" Kirstie shot back immediately and sat up slightly. "They should be thankful that someone is doing the dirty work for them. The plant might be the answer on how to treat vampire bites, Minerva. Do you understand how huge this is?"

Minerva pursed her lips again. "Kirstin."

"No. Avi did something nobody else has ever done and he put his life at risk. He cared for that plant, fed it until he himself was too weak to treat his wounds. She can't be destroyed and I hope Newt knows that."

"Newt is aware, yes."

"Good. Because otherwise he will have a problem with me." Kirstie finished her cup of tea and stood up. Then she smiled. "Thank you for the conversation, Minerva. Oh, and Scott won't be around to teach tomorrow. He's still at St. Mungo's to be with Avi. They-" she paused. "I think they bonded over the last few weeks. Avi has accepted him as a friend." With that she turned around and left the office.

Scott shifted and guided Avi's head against his chest before he held him up by wrapping his arm around the man's torso. It was time for a light dinner and especially after the seizures and the high fever Avi needed something to fuel his body, something that was made out of real, nutritious food na don't the brewed potions he had been fed with since Tuesday evening.

It was a weird position be in, with his back against the wall behind him and the Potion Master against his front like a sack of potatoes, but after a few tries where Avi had choked on the mashed veggies he had been fed with a spoon Scott decided to stop and try something else.

He reached for the spoon again and pushed some of the by now only lukewarm vegetables on it before he brought it to Avi's lips and gently pushes against his bottom one, until the bearded man slowly opened his mouth and allowed Scott to scape off the mash with his front teeth. The baritone removed the spoon again, switched to holding Avi's forehead to keep his head from falling forward and then smiled when he felt him swallowing, this time without choking.

"Good job" Scott whispered and kissed his temple. "One more."