Finding

Buenos Aires was beautiful. And if Scott hadn't had anything else to do he had probably gotten comfortable at the beach for a bit, but after a second dose of Felix Felicis he had purchased at some shady shop for a big chunk of money he found himself at a busy market surrounded by muggles.

He started walking, slipped past people arguing about bananas and then froze when he noticed dark brown curls bunched up in a low bun, followed by the collar of a shirt. Scott knew. He knew those shoulders, the slim back, the skinny legs and - boat shoes. Avi. 

Scott's pulse sped up and he felt his heart beating in his chest. All of the sudden all the feelings he had suppressed and pushed away from him to keep his heart safe came back with such a force that he almost stumbled back. Leaning against one of the street lamps he kept watching the smaller man as he picked up a few mangos and exchanged some money for them. They went into a translucent plastic bag Avi had dangling from his arm and joined guavas and what Scott suspected could be passion fruit.

As Avi started walking again Scott followed him like a shadow while he tried to gather enough courage to talk to him. 

Once the bearded man had picked up a bunch of cured meats he turned around to walk back to the entrance. However, he stopped when his eyes caught sight of the tall and rather pale baritone standing a few feet away from him with his hands in his pockets. Avi's eyes widened and he flinched noticeably.  

Then — Scott wasn't surprised — he turned on his heels and was about to walk off when the baritone reached for his wrist and held him back. "Avriel, no. I just want to talk to you." 

"What are you even doing here?!" the bearded man hissed and ripped his hand away. "Don't touch me." He looked at Scott through his sunglasses and but for the first time ever his eyes were empty. No emotion, not even a hint. No anger. 

"Avi, please."

Ten minutes later Scott found himself inside a modern living room with a tall glass of water in front of him while Avi couldn't sit still and stood in the open kitchen to cut one of the mangos. 

His hands were shaking and he struggled to keep the knife in his hand when it slid through the flesh and hit the core. "Why are you here" he asked again and took a deep breath though his nose to focus. 

"Well, I wasn't really planning on coming, to be honest. But when I was packing to go back to Norway for the summer I found the Felix Felicis you gave me and- and then I just- I missed you so much, Avi. And I'm sorry for just showing up. If you hadn't turned around I would've left. Just wanted to know if you were okay. Alive." 

"I am alive, as you can see." 

"And you look good. I like the tan, and the shorts. You look so different, I'm not used to it. Are you happy here?"

Avi hesitated before he slowly nodded, aware that Scott was looking at him. "I am, yes." 

"Good." He raised the glass and took a sip of the cold tea. "Do you have a job here? Do you work?"

"I brew potions. Makes decent money, keeps me busy and my mind occupied" the man mumbled and then looked up. "Why are you asking? Why do you even care?"

"Cause you're important to me." 

"After what I have done?"

Scott shrugged. "I guess. I know that it's not my fault. You didn't leave because of me." 

"No, I- I didn't." He looked back at the mango and sighed. "Scott, I missed you too. I didn't have plans to leave, not before I went back to the dungeons. But Kirstie probably tell you, huh?"

A soft smile appeared on Scott's lips. "Yeah, she told me. It was rather spontaneous." He got up and walked over to the large window. "I wouldn't have looked for you here in Argentina, Avi. Good choice though. Sunny and warm." 

Avi hummed and reached for a bowl. "It's nice here, but it doesn't feel like home. Been struggling since I left the castle." 

"No new vampire plants though, right?"

The bearded man chuckled. "No new vampire plants, no. Learned my lesson." 

Scott made his way to the kitchen and leaned on the island. He eyed one of the plants — regular, normal ones — Avi was keeping in the bright room and grinned when he saw a little creature peeking out from below a leaf. "Who are these guys?" he asked and pointed at the plant. 

"Huh? Oh, just bowtruckles. They usually hide, but Phineas is rather curious." 

"But- purple?"

"Yeah, it's a new species. I've been in touch with Newt, he will be here next week to have a look at them. Adorable little guys." Avriel took a thin slice of mango and handed it to the bowtruckle before they watched him disappear with it. "Very easy to take care of." 

"Didn't you have a nibbler too?" 

"A what? They're called nifflers. Yeah, I had one, but he's with Newt now. I just had him for a few weeks to keep him away from the others, they bullied him. Little Munchie." 

"Munchie?! Merlin's underpants." 

"What? He deserves a name just like every other creature." 

"How- why did you never tell me about your creatures?!" Scott laughed and then leaned back on the kitchen island. 

Avriel shrugged. "I just didn't think you'd be interested in them." He handed Scott the bowl full of mango and then made himself a glass of iced tea as well. "But you're not here to hear about my pets. You probably want to talk about Professor Snyde?"