Canceling

It was almost half past seven when Avi left the dungeons. He was wearing a black button up shirt, as always, and black skinny jeans that clung to his legs. His hair was tied up neatly and even though he looked confident he didn't feel that way.

On the way upstairs he passed a group of students who didn't take any notice of the Potion Master and before he made his last turn to the right, up to the Great Hall, he suddenly stopped. He wasn't allowed to meet friends. He wasn't allowed to have any.

"Do you think he'll show up?" Avi heard Mitch ask.

"I hope so.." Scott replied and turned around to the staircases. "I really hope he's coming with us. Do you know anything, Kirstie?"

The woman shook her head. "No, this morning everything was blurry. I couldn't see if he was with us or not. But we can wait another five minutes and then slowly head down to Hogsmead. And if he's late he knows where we wanted to go so he should be able to find us in the village."

Avi kept listening to what they were saying. It genuinely sounded like they wanted to have him with them, but then again he couldn't bring himself to walk all the way up and around the corner to join them. He just couldn't and was paralyzed with fear.

"I'll go and check" Scott suddenly said and started walking towards the stairs.

"Scott-" Mitch mumbled but stopped and sighed. "Maybe he doesn't want to come with us."

"Maybe he fell asleep. Maybe he forgot." Maybe he is hurt, Scott thought and made his way to the dungeons. Right after he walked past the corner he saw the Potion Master and smiled softly. "Avi! There you are. Let's go!"

But the bearded man shook his head. "N-no. I can't."

"Why? Are you hurting?" Scott tilted his head lightly and frowned. He was worried about Avi since the man didn't snap or said something hurtful - he just seemed unsure and insecure, which Scott hadn't expected.

"No. I just can't. I'm sorry. I can't come with you. I would like to but-"

The baritone nodded. "I understand. You can't. That's okay, Avi. Hey, relax." He reached out and gently touched Avi's upper arm. "You don't have to explain yourself. If you feel like you can't come we accept it. Is it because you're hurting or do you have a different reason?"

Avi slowly shook his head. "No, not hurting. I can't explain. I am truly sorry."

"That's okay" Scott said again and smiled softly. "Go home and relax, alright? Do what makes you happy and brings peace to your mind. If you don't mind I'll come and check on you when we're back."

The Potion Master just nodded before he turned around and hurried back to the dungeons. He was thankful that Scott had been so understanding.

"Mhm, he stood there as if he had been caught red handed in the biscuit tin" the tall blonde said as they made their way down to the village. He was walking next to Kirstie's patronus, a beautiful silver wolf, while Mitch's hairless cat was on the other side. Together they guarded them from the dementors that tried to approach them every now and then but the trio didn't seem bothered.

Mitch sighed. "I kinda knew that he wouldn't join. I don't know, when you told us about him possibly coming with us I just- he doesn't socialize. It's Avi. He stays away from everyone else."

"Not because he wants to, Mitch" Kirstie mumbles and pulled her cloak tighter around her upper body. Even though it was the beginning of September it was rather chilly and she was glad to have the big wolf next to her. "He's scarred."

Scott stayed silent and listened to what his friends were saying.

"You guys know that I've worked at the ministry for a few months. I've sat there and listened to the crimes some of the Durmstrang graduates had committed. It was lots of dark magic, they all seemed distant, nobody had any accomplices. They don't know what trust is, or friendship. These people grew up with punishments, day in, day out and never learned to trust others. They weren't allowed to develop these skills."

The Charms professor sighed. He remembered the hours he had spent trying to find some kind of information about the school when Kirstie has been right there. "I'm stupid."

"Tell me something I didn't know" Mitch just said and grinned. "Why?"

"I was trying so hard to learn more about Durmstrang when I could've just asked Kirstie. I mean, whatever. I just want to get to know Avi better and it would be amazing if he, at some point, starts to trust me."

Kirstie smiled. "I think he already trusts you, Scott."

The man just looked down. Maybe Kirstie was right. Avi already trusted him. Not a whole lot, but a little and that was a start.

After their little field trip Kirstie brought Mitch back to his rooms while Scott made his way down to the dungeons. It was almost midnight and he doubted that Avi was still awake as he had been up early, but when he knocked on the wooden door and heard it creak just a few moments later he couldn't help but smile.

Avi stood there in a black, rather casual looking long sleeved shirt - something he only wore in his chambers - and flannel pants. "Hello" he mumbled. "Back already?"

Scott shrugged. "It wasn't that fun. Mitch had a little too much and we decided to head back early. What were you up to?"

"Just reading.." Avi said and walked back to the couch. He closed the open book, put it to the side and looked at Scott. "Would you like a cup of tea?"