Cuddling

Before he spoke up Avi cleared his throat. "I can't perform the Patronus charm" he mumbled and mashed a single bean on his plate. "It's impossible."

"Because of your past?"

"Mhm. And my arm. But mostly because of what happened at school back then, yes."

Scott frowned. He felt bad for the man, even more than and he began to realize that with the Dementors on the grounds Avi was a prisoner in his own home. He couldn't leave the castle without them attacking him sooner or later and with his injured arm he didn't stand a chance against the slightest threat.

"But I'm alright with it. It's okay."

"How are you alright with being in the castle for over three months already?"

"I work a lot and bury myself in books and research" he explained slowly and took a bite of his buttered toast. Even though he was slowly getting full Avi knew that Scott would appreciate an empty plate.

"Avi? Is this the reason why you always declined our invites? To Hogsmead and for walks around the lake?"

Avriel nodded slowly. "One of them, yes. I don't want anyone to know that I can't use my wand. Or perform the Patronus." He looked at Scott. "Please don't tell anyone."

The baritone reached out and gently touched Avi's hand. "I won't, I promise. But we have to work on that, okay? Cause you are the most gifted and talented Potion Master I have ever met and it would be an utter shame if your arm keeps you from brewing. How do you handle class?"

"I just tell them to watch out and...uhm, threaten them with detention if anything goes wrong. So far nothing has happened but the classes have been a little more theoretical this year."

Scott nodded slowly and shoved some more sausage into his mouth. "Alright. Is the plant old enough?"

"I think so, I don't know. But I can't handle more feedings." Avriel used the napkin next to his plate to dab his lips before he pushed the half eaten meal away. "Full."

"You did great with breakfast though. Minerva wanted to stop by at some point but you can go back to bed and lay down. I can handle her."

Avi was in bed again, asleep and surrounded by big pillows and blankets while Scott was in the living room and looked at the headmistress. He had told her about the night before, how he had found Avi, but kept the details to himself.

"Anyway, he barely made it and having him teach is too much, at least until Christmas."

The woman nodded slowly and looked at the tall baritone. "Scott, since when are you and Mr. Kaplan so close? I'm intrigued, it's the first time in years since I have noticed him spending time with others. He's usually very quiet and keeps to himself at all times."

The man shrugged. "Everyone needs friends" he just said and looked up at her. "Was that it? Sorry, I'm just tired. I'd like to lay down again and take a nap. It was a rough night."

She nodded. "Of course. Please take care and I will see you in the Great Hall." The woman reached for a handful of floo powder and disappeared again, leaving Scott to himself.

The professor sighed softly. At least Avi would have enough time to heal, mentally and physically, but he still hadn't figured out how he was supposed to handle the plant in the dungeons. He got up and made tea before he brought the mugs to the bedroom and set them down on the bedside tables.

The man gently touched Avi's side to let him know he was there before he slipped under the covers and scooted closer to spoon the Potion Master.

Avi accepted the gesture almost immediately. He seemed to relax against the gentle heat on his back and even turned to his other side, blinked for a moment and then closed his eyes again. He brought his forehead against Scott's chest and allowed the baritone to wrap his arms around him. It felt good. The warmth against his head soothed the throbbing headache he was experiencing and since he still felt cold he appreciated that the other man shared his heat with him.

When Scott felt Avi's hands gripping the fabric of his shirt over his stomach he smiled lightly and pecked the top of his brown curls. "I'm not leaving" he whispered against his ear and rubbed his back. But Avi kept holding onto him and didn't let go of the fabric.

Scott knew that Avriel was probably too sleepy to understand what was happening, because otherwise he would've freaked out and pulled away. But for now he enjoyed the cuddles with him and offered as much comfort as possible. Christmas was approaching them quickly and after all he had promised Winky that Avi wouldn't be by himself this year.