Hugging

"Yes please. I won't say no to a good cup." Scott didn't want to invade Avi's privacy and stood outside, until the bearded man returned from the bathroom and held a with water filled kettle made out of cast iron.

"Why are you standing outside?"

"Last time you didn't want me inside and I don't want to-"

"Get in here" Avi mumbled. "And close the door. Dung brain." He brought the kettle over to the fireplace and hung it right over the flame before he reached for two mugs standing in a small cabinet Scott hadn't noticed before and filled a reusable tea bag with the contents of a vial.

Scott sat down on the couch and watched Avi. "Homemade?"

"Mhm...it's my favorite. I hope you like it too."

"Probably" the baritone said and smiled. "I'm not picky. Are you feeling better?"

"A little, yes. Again, I'm sorry for how I reacted earlier today. I don't think that I'm the right choice when you're looking for a new friend, Scott."

"You should've told me that before I decided that you are my friend." He took the cup with tea and leaned back. "I don't fully understand why you are the way you are but I am aware that you need a lot of time to adjust to having people close to you. And that's fine. I'll wait and be patient."

Avi sighed and sat down next to him. "You don't understand."

"I do. You have been mistreated as a child until early adulthood, from people that were supposed to take care of you and help you grow, fill your head with knowledge and skills. That's our job as teachers. The ones you had failed terribly and in the worst way possible. They're the reason you're sitting here by yourself all the time, they're the reason you feel like you can't go out with us for a beer." Scott paused. "I'm sorry, that was a lot but I think you had to hear it at least once."

The Potion master stayed silent and brought the cup of tea to his lips. He took a sip, put it back down and stared into the flames in front of him. After moments of silence he spoke up. "They taught us how to kill. We were 14. Can you imagine that?"

"No" Scott said and looked at him. He was surprised that Avi was opening up instead of closing down and pushing him away but he didn't mind the honest conversation. Not at all. "You and the other students went through hell."

Avriel shrugged. "Most of them enjoyed it" he mumbled and stood up. "I never fit in. Not once. And I never will."

"Who said you have to fit in? Kirstie doesn't fit in either. Mitch? Not at all."

"But you fit in." Avi reached for more wood and tossed it inside the fireplace before he sat down again.

"But I'm boring."

"To me you're not boring.." the Potion Master said and a faint pink rose to his cheeks. "You know a lot. Lots of different things, but still a lot."

Right after Avi had said that Scott started to grin like an idiot. He hadn't expected to receive a compliment from the bearded man, not in the next ten years, but here he was and he couldn't stop smiling. "Well, there are lots of interesting things to know."

Avi chuckled lightly, which turned into a laugh and to Scott it sounded like heaven on earth. His eyes had little wrinkles around them, he flashed his white and flawless teeth and the mustache now fully covered his upper lip. The man tucked back a strand of hair and kept smiling. "That's right. There are lots of interested things, almost too many."

"What was your favorite place when you were a kid?"

The Potion master stroked his beard. "The library" he then said. "I spent a lot of time in the library since it was so cold outside. Yours?" It suddenly felt as if it was easier to ask such random question and he enjoyed getting to know his colleague better. Maybe he would even consider Scott as a friend soon.

"Oh, definitely the kitchen. I love eating. When I got older I spent more time in the library, but I think up until fifth grade it was usually the kitchen."

"Then you must know Winky? The elf?" Avriel reached for his cup, refilled both his and Scott's and then took a sip.

Scott took the cup, thanked him with a short smile and nodded. "Yup, pretty well actually. She always saved me an extra piece of cake after dinner."

"She's sweet. I always wake up to a plate of eggs, toast and bacon and when it's time for lunch she shows up with a sandwich. For dinner it's usually chicken and rice, with vegetables. Easy on the stomach. I don't eat a lot but I appreciate the gesture."

"You know, I usually don't comment on people's weight cause I am in no position to judge or share my opinion but you- you could use some more, hm? You must be burning a whole lot of calories on feeding days."

Avi slowly nodded. "I know. And if I wouldn't feed her I wouldn't struggle that much. She takes around two pints of blood per feeding, sometimes a little more, and that's over 1000 calories." 

Scott hummed and ran his thumb over the edge of the mug. "That's a lot, Avi. And I would guess that you rarely eat more than 1500 calories a day."

"I'm working on it. It just takes time." 

"Did they limit you when you were in school? Did they control your meals?"

The Potion Master sighed softly and ran a hand through his hair. "Yes. It's not uncommon for Durmstrang students to develop eating disorders. We're supposed to focus on our skills, not our transport."

"It's not your transport, Avi. It's your body. You should take better care of it." 

"It's weak" the man mumbled and looked down.

"Because you don't appreciate it enough. Of course you can't be strong and muscly when you keep feeding this stupid plant. You're hurting yourself, over and over again. And while I appreciate the reason behind your actions I still don't- I don't approve" the Charms professor said. "I don't have to, you don't need my approval. I know. But I think you should know that I care and worry about you." He reached out, placed his hand on Avi's upper back and gently rubbed it. 

This time he didn't flinch but smiled lightly and nodded. The gentle touch paired with the warmth felt good and he caught himself thinking about the times where Scott had taken care of his arm and their skin had touched without the fabric of his shirt between. He mentally slapped himself when he had to yawn, which resulted in Scott finishing the rest of his tea. 

"You should rest, Avi. You're tired." Scott pulled his hand back and put the empty cup down in front of the small table next to the armrest of the couch. The wizard got up and smiled lightly. "Do you think asking for a hug would be appropriate?"

"Absolutely not" the bearded man mumbled and approached Scott. Avi didn't exactly know what to do, he hadn't hugged anyone since he had started school, but Scott seemingly picked up on his insecurity and opened his arms. 

"C'mere." 

Avi smiled lightly before he felt the man's arms around his body, gently holding him. He tensed at first, then relaxed and placed his chin on Scott's right shoulder before he wrapped his arms around the other man's upper body. He liked being close to the other professor.