eight

Andrea Castro

I felt like I have been going crazy. My thoughts were consuming me being all alone in this house all day. All I could muster out of Harry's fridge was a sandwich and that had been the only thing I've eaten today. It felt like I was living in a personal hell. I had tried breaking into my phone multiple times, but couldn't quite figure out what the new passcode was. It had been disabled for 3 hours. I was terrified of Harry seeing it and knowing I was in his office, let alone trying to get ahold of my phone.

I huffed in annoyance, getting up from the sofa and walking back over to the kitchen. I was looking through the cabinets, hoping to find something else I can snack on. I reached down below in a lower cabinet and pulled it open, my eyes widening at what caught my eye. My heart sank to my stomach and suddenly I felt nervous. I had found Harry's liquor cabinet. 

I've been sober for 3 years now and flashbacks of my time in rehab started to roll back to me. I pinched my eyes shut, shaking my head, knowing I couldn't fall back into my past actions. But I just wanted to so badly. I know it would numb every single piece of heartbreak and sadness I was experiencing. He had so many different types of vodkas, rum, and whiskey. My heart started to pick up speed and before I knew it I had grabbed a handle. I stared at it and it felt like it was taunting me. It was like it was calling my name to get drunk and forget about everything bad that's been happening in my life. I closed my eyes once again and unscrewed the lid of the bottle.

I quickly reached into one of the other cabinets, grabbing a glass I could pour this sweet vodka in. I know I shouldn't be turning to alcohol. Alcohol was one of the many things that haunted me in my past and brought me to a very dark place. At this point, I didn't care enough. I just wanted to feel numb.

I could hear the liquor filling up the glass, and a small smile crept upon my lips. I immediately shot it back down my throat, the burning bitter taste waking me up, my eyes getting wide. I pinched the bridge of my nose, taking in the taste. The taste felt so out of this world, not realizing how long it's been that I've tasted alcohol. Before I knew it, I was chugging back shot after shot. It felt so good. My hands were tingling and I could feel the buzz beginning to form. 

I quickly grabbed the handle of vodka and my glass, taking a second look at the liquor cabinet and grabbing the whiskey too. I walked over to the sofa and lay the bottles on the coffee table, the glass smacking the table. I turned on the television, and soon enough a game show was playing on the screen. I laid back, grabbing my glass once again, and swallowed the rest of the vodka that was in my glass. I was smiling now, realizing the numbness will soon kick in. It was feeling like a form of therapy for me. This was my way of forgetting.

--------------------

Before I knew it, my whole body was tingling and my mind was foggy. I was seeing double on the television and I couldn't help but burst out in laughter every now and then at the funny scenes that were playing. I could hear my hiccups getting worse and worse. My eyes were hazy as I reached for my glass, this time it contained whiskey, and poured it down my throat. I hummed in satisfaction, it felt like I was drinking water at this point. I looked out the window and noticed it was beginning to get dark, not realizing that so much time had gone by. I was giggling to myself until I heard the front door unlock and my head turned to see Harry walk through the door. A big smile was painted on my lips until his eyes caught mine.

"What the fuck are you doing?!" He yelled while rushing over to my side, anger evident in his eyes. My eyes got wide at his tone of voice and I couldn't contain the giggles erupting from my mouth. 

"I'm having f-fun, can't you see?" I slurred while giggling to myself, a hiccup following after. Harry forcefully grabbed the glass out of my hand, realizing I had drunk more than half the handle of vodka and had opened up the bottle of whiskey.