fifteen

Andrea Castro

"Harry, this is just your closet..." I trailed off, glancing up at him as he flicked on the switch, the lightbulb illuminating the dark closet. My eyes peered over, noticing his many black colored clothing, everything still seems so dark even with the lights on. 

"No, it's not just any closet," He said lowly, as he went to the back of the walk-in closet. His hand reached up, gripped the white molded shelf, his arm pushing it through, his biceps straining through his t-shirt as he pushed even harder, the shelf now becoming a wall. It was as if it was a door, opening widely as my eyes got wide in curiosity. Did he really have a secret room built into his closet?

"What is this?" I questioned as he entwined his fingers with mine, leading me into it. My breath hitched in my throat, feeling like all the oxygen had escaped my lungs. Harry didn't scare me as much as he used to, but this room felt like it would change my opinion drastically. As we walked inside the dark room, white LED lights illuminated it. My eyes got wide and my lips parted in awe, black guns hung up on the black walls, the lights shining on them. There were pistols, machine guns, rifles, any gun you could ever think of. I quickly took my hand away from him, my arms crossing over my chest as I rubbed the sides of my arms, warming my skin.

"Andi... don't be scared," He muttered as he glanced behind him, his eyes glazing over mine with concern traced in them. I didn't utter a word to him, my eyes trailing the walls. The far wall held different knives in all sorts of lengths and shapes, and I swallowed the lump in my throat. I walked ahead of him as he watched me intently, my eyes trailing every weapon that was hung on the walls. There were drawers attached to the walls below them as my hand reached for one of the handles, slowly opening it. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I glanced at the items in front of me.

"What are these?" I mumbled in a low voice as he stepped closer to me, his chest to my back towering over me as I heard him sigh under his breath.

"Grenades," He muttered sheepishly, as I turned around to look at him completely, my jaw clenched as I shook my head back and forth.

"Are you insane?" I angrily asked with annoyance traced in my tone. There was absolutely no reason to have all of this for himself. I know his occupation probably required it, but with the amount of dangerous and deadly weapons sitting in this room, and it shook me to my core.

"Maybe a little bit but I need this stuff, I always need to be prepared no matter what. I told you I was going to show you the reality of all of this and here I am, showing you, so stop being so judgemental." He answered me coldly, stepping away from me as I felt my body go cold from the disappearance of his warmth. I sighed under my breath, knowing that this indeed was what I asked for. It was a scary reality but I couldn't hold it against him, this was his life and I had to come to terms with it.

I continued to walk along the room, stopping in place when I noticed a big black box with wires attached and a digital screen. My fingers grazed the top of it, wondering what on earth it could possibly be.

"Andi, don't touch that!" I heard Harry yell and I flinched under his tone, my fingers escaping the box, my brown eyes peering up to his dark green ones. He pulled me away from it, shaking his head back and forth in annoyance. 

"What is it?" I asked hesitantly, my voice shaking from the danger it could possibly hold. 

"A bomb, it's not activated but still, I don't want you messing around with it." He mumbled while huffing under his breath, his hands on his waist as he slumped back. My eyes were bulging out of my sockets, my hands shaking by my sides as I backed away from it slowly.

"What the fuck? Why do you have a bomb in your house?" I angrily spat at him, my voice getting louder as he glanced at me with concern.

"Obviously for situations when I might need a bomb. I've disabled them before and activated them too in the past, but seriously, don't touch anything." He angrily replied, glaring at me with his piercing emerald eyes as I cowered behind him. He reached above it, grabbing a glass case as he slowly put it over it, encasing it like a shell.