twenty-two

Andrea Castro

"Where have you been?" Carrie had asked me, her eyebrows furrowed as a look of concern washed over her face. I sighed and faked a smile in her direction, setting my bags down onto the hardwood floors. 

"Just got super caught up back at home, but I'm really glad I'm back now," I huffed, feeling my chest heave up and down. That definitely wasn't a lie, I felt extremely glad I had escaped New York to be back at Princeton. The events that had occurred have been draining every ounce of energy from me. It's all I ever think about and it has fully changed me into a different person, and I'm hoping no one here at college would notice. It has been absolutely traumatizing and it's even worse having to bottle it up because I'm on strict silence with it. My mind had fluttered to the idea of Harry and how he must be doing and my heart ached at the thought.

"I missed you, didn't think separation anxiety was a thing, but I guess it is," Carrie laughed, walking over and grabbing herself a glass of water as she sipped it. I laughed along with her, plopping down onto one of our barstools, leaning my elbows onto the counter, running my fingers through my hair. "Why do you look so stressed?" Carrie's look of concern had resurfaced, as she has now noticed the stress lines probably forming on my forehead. I faked another smile and I could tell Carrie could look right through me.

"I'm not stressed, just had a super long week I guess," I hesitantly laughed and she tilted her head to the side, her eyes examining my every move. I furrowed my eyebrows at her, and she gave me a small shoulder shrug.

"I know I probably shouldn't ask but why don't we just go out tonight then? You don't have to drink because I know how you are about-"

"I want to go," I completely cut her off, a smile still painted on my face. Carrie looked taken aback, a loud laugh erupting from her lips as she clutched her stomach. She calmed herself down, shooting a glance towards my direction with a surprised expression on her face.

"Wait, you're being serious?" Her eyes were bulging out of her sockets, her lips parted in shock. I stood up from where I was seated and walked towards her.

"Yes, I'm serious, one drink isn't going to hurt," I laughed, lightly pushing her arm as she nodded her head along with my words. She looked at me with a puzzled look, but it was different this time, more in a playful manner. 

"Who are you and what did you do with my best friend?" She chuckled and I rolled my eyes at her. I know in the past I was always adamant about never going out and partying just like everyone else around here. I always put the blame on my time in rehab and it was something I never wanted to experience again. I was also self-disciplining myself and this time I was over it. I most definitely deserved a drink and for one night, it would be nice to forget Harry. 

"There's nothing wrong with wanting to go out," I said to her in a shy voice. She wrapped her arms around my shoulders and squeezed me tightly in her arms. Carrie was always big on wanting to go out and socialize with a few drinks, so this must've seemed like a dream for her.

"I think I'm starting to like this new you," She exclaimed loudly with a soft laugh. I laughed along with her as we pulled away from one another, her arms disconnecting from me. I hope I start to like this new me because this is me starting over. This is me cleaning off my slate, and for once, I was feeling a little bit of excitement for what was to come out of this. I liked the idea of starting over. 

______________________________________

I zipped up my black booties, standing up in them, pulling on the belt loops of my high-waisted black jeans. I examined myself in my body mirror, feeling excitement surge through my body. It felt good doing something for myself. I felt pride in knowing I was in control of every choice I made because, for a while, it didn't feel like it.