twenty

Andrea Castro

My fingers trailed the keys of the piano and I felt my lips upturn into a frown at the idea that I'll probably never come in contact with them again. My eyes trailed towards the floor, burning a hole into the duffel bag full of my things. I felt my heart sink to the bottom of my stomach, hearing Harry's loud boots pat against the floor, hearing the jingle of his keys, signaling that this was actually happening. It was time for me to return back to my normal life and I couldn't shake the anxious feeling that was erupting through me.

"Are you ready?"Harry questioned me with a tilt of his head, his face expressionless.

"Not really, no," I muttered angrily, feeling bad at how harsh I was coming off, but oddly enough, I didn't want to leave. I wasn't ready to go back to acting like everything was normal. I didn't want to go back to the people that I bitterly despised, considering my family was more fucked up than I had realized. And sadly enough, whatever was going on between Harry and I, I didn't really want it to end. 

He had completely ignored me and I've realized he has been acting extremely cold lately, and I'm sure it was a result of this moment right now. It was creeping upon us and now it was actually happening. I felt as if maybe he was a little upset that I was leaving as well, but I didn't want to get my hopes up because that was only going to result in me getting hurt, and I don't think my heart can handle any more damage.

I followed after him, tugging my duffel bag over me, the cold air nipping my nose, making my cheeks flush in red. As we both got into the car, the silence was deafening and the tension was thick. I watched him out of the corner of my eye, noticing his disheveled brown locks slicked over his forehead, his large hands gripping the steering wheel harshly as he pulled out of the driveway and continue to drive along the road. I watched his ranch come out of my vision, and the more the car moved, the more I felt my chest get heavy. 

I knew I wasn't ready for any of this, and weirdly enough being with Harry couped up in his home in a completely different world felt safe and different. Different in a good way, where I felt like it was a good way to escape from everything that had been destroyed previously. I wanted to escape and stay in this alternate universe with Harry, but that was unrealistic. 

The soft rumble of the engine was the only sound echoing through this uncomfortable silence, the radio was muted and I locked my eyes on the window, not wanting to take one more look at him because it was only going to make this much worse. 

I was curious as to where his mind was at. I wanted to know his thoughts, his wants, and if this was hurting him just as much as it was hurting me. I hated to admit that I had completely caught feelings for this mysterious man who had a deadly job. A job that cost me so much, but in the end, made me realize all the darkness I was surrounded in. I didn't want it to end because it had only just begun. I felt ridiculous for having these feelings towards him, but I was so attracted to him it was hard not to. What was supposed to only remain physical had become emotional, extremely fast, and I couldn't keep up.

The familiar neighborhood of where I have grown up was coming into view and I held back the wince that was wanting to escape my lips. The feeling of danger was engulfing me, and even though I knew Cobra-13 was going to protect me no matter what, I felt like the only person who could actually protect me was Harry. I turned my head to look at him and noticed he had remained expressionless the whole time and it was extremely hard to read him and figure out what state he was in. Was this not affecting him at all? Was he just going to completely leave me behind and go back to his abnormal life of completing missions for Cobra-13? I didn't want him to forget all about me, because it was going to take a lot for me to forget about him. I didn't want to forget about him because he has completely struck my mind and unfortunately, my heart.