03. | 𝑓𝑖𝑟𝑠𝑡 𝑑𝑎𝑡𝑒

''Can I open my eyes now?" May asked for the hundredth time as Coulson was leading her to an unspecified place.

''You're worse than a child. Hold on for one moment more."

''Can't help it. Patience is not my strong point."

''Oh, I know something about that, believe me," he snorted, and she just rolled her eyes. After a few moments they stopped and Phil let go of her, taking a few steps away. ''Alright. You can open your eyes now."

She lowered her hands, which she was covering her face with, and the sight in front of her made her hold her breath. They were in a restaurant Melinda had never been to before. Phil was standing at a table by the window prepared for two, holding a bouquet of flowers in his hands and smiling like an idiot.

''Where are we, Phil?" she asked, looking at everything in amazement.

''At the restaurant I used to go to with my mother when I was little. They have delicious Chinese dumplings here. And lasagne."

''I... I don't know what to say."

''Then don't say anything."

He walked over to her and handed her the bouquet of red roses, then pushed a chair from the table for her. The waiter approached them a moment after they sat down, collected the order and poured red wine into their glasses. When he was gone, Melinda put the flowers in the vase next to her and looked at Phil, who was watching her with a feeling she couldn't exactly name.

''I can't believe you prepared all of this for me on your birthday. I'm the one who should give you a gift, "she said.

He smiled and grabbed her hand. ''You don't have to give me anything," he said. ''You are the best gift I could ever get."

Her heart started beating faster.

Suddenly, she knew what the strange feeling was.

Love.