15. | 𝑐𝘩𝑟𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑚𝑎𝑠

Everyone was so busy with the arrival of a new family member, that when the doctor made the diagnosis, it surprised everyone.

Postpartum depression was something new to them, that none of them had ever dealt with before. Even Jemma couldn't help them enough.

Each new day was differed from the previous one and seemed to throw new logs at their feet. Melinda's range of moods grew wider. She was eating little. She was quiet and sad all the time, as if someone had drained all the life from her. She didn't care what was happening to her or her family. There were days she didn't even seem to notice the baby's presence. She was erupting with anger and then weeping a few minutes later. Some days she didn't leave the bedroom all day. She hardly spoke to anyone at all.

Phil knew that it's a disease that will pass eventually, but his heart was breaing when he was watching her like this and couldn't help her. He was doing his best to take care of Melinda and their newborn daughter, and sometimes thought that he couldn't do it. However, he was not alone, he could always count on the support of Daisy, Jemma and the rest of the team. They were all in this together and doing everything in their power to help, and that little Melissa suffered as little as possible from the situation they found themselves in. That was the most important thing.

In the middle of all of this mess there were also better days. The first Christmas Eve in their new home was one of them. Melinda was more lively than usual and even managed to eat a normal meal. And when she heard Melissa cry, she took her in her arms and rocked her until the baby calmed down.

''Coulson?"

''Hm?" Phil shook his head. He looked away from Melinda hanging decorations on the Christmas tree in the living room with Melissa in her arms, and moved his gaze back to Daisy, who was sitting by the kitchen counter. ''Did you say something?"

''Yes, I asked what are you cooking, cause it smells wonderful," she repeated, tilting her head.

''I'm preparing a few things for tomorrow's Christmas morning," he replied briefly. He looked at May again. She was speaking to Melissa quietly and showing her more baubles. The girl was pulling her fists towards them, clearly interested.

Daisy looked at them too and sighed. ''She's doing better," she said. He smiled sadly to himself.

''Today, yes. But you weren't here yesterday."

''I know. But May is strong and she has us." She stopped for a moment. ''She's going to be alright, Coulson."

He would like to be as sure as she was. He sighed heavily and put a hand on Daisy's shoulder without taking his eyes off his wife and daughter. ''I hope so."