13. | 𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑦

''Hey, May. Do you want to participate in bets?" Simmons asked approaching the brunette sitting on the sofa. From the early morning, she and Fitz were walking all over the plane and collecting bets on the sex of the baby. May sighed and stroked her stomach.

''No, Jemma. I already told you, that it doesn't really matter to me."

''Whatever," the girl shrugged and walked away toward the other agents, pulling Fitz with her. ''Bets! We're taking bets for the last half an hour!"

Melinda rolled her eyes in amusement. She leaned more comfortably on Phil, who was sitting next to her. ''I knew right away that all this baby shower thing was a bad idea," she said.

''Yeah," Phil only answered. She frowned and turned her head to look at him.

''You're not going to tell me you took part in it, are you?" He just scratched his head, wondering what to say. She shook her head in disbelief. ''You really put money in a bet on our child's sex?"

''Yeah..."

''I can't believe it."

''What? Everyone bet today."

''You'll loose anyway," said Daisy, who was just passing by, dragging the blue and pink balloons behind her. Coulson pointed a finger in her direction.

''No, I've got a feeling it's gonna be a boy. My male instinct is telling me that."

''Well, your 'male instinct' is wrong. It's going to be a girl, I'm telling you."

''We'll see about that, young lady."

May rolled her eyes again, deciding not to get into the discussion.

About half an hour later the party began and the great moment came. Daisy, Jemma, Fitz, Elena and Mack gathered in the kitchen, where Melinda and Phil were to cut the cake and discover the sex of the unborn new family member. The cake was decorated in white and nobody knew what was inside.

Phil handed May a knife, letting her do the honors. Biting her lower lip, she cut the piece and slid the cake scoop underneath to make it easier to pull out. She waited a few seconds, enjoying the satisfaction of keeping everyone in suspense. When she finally lifted the piece up, a group "Oooh" sounded in the room.

''Pink. We're going to have a daughter," she said turning to Coulson. He smiled brightly and hugged her tightly, putting his hand on her stomach.

''Told you it's a girl," Daisy said, approaching them and winking at Coulson. She threw her arms around their necks and hugged them, too. ''Congratulations, guys. Can't wait to meet my baby sister."

''Hey," Elena spoke. ''Have you chosen the name yet?"

''We don't know yet," May replied, starting to cut the rest of the cake into pieces and putting them on the paper plates.

''We'll name her Melinda Junior," Phil announced and reached for the sugar cake decoration. May snorted as he tossed it into his mouth.

''We're not naming our child Melinda, Phil."

''Why not? It's a beautiful name."

''Yeah, my name. It would be weird if there were two Melindas. You would never know which one someone's talking about."

''I don't know. I still think it's a good idea."

''Then keep thinking," she said and spread some cream on his nose with her finger. He returned the favor by touching her nose with his dirty one. She laughed and he kissed her with a smile.

''I'll work on that."