09. | 𝑤𝘩𝑒𝑛 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑡𝘩𝑒𝑚 𝑖𝑠 𝑑𝑟𝑢𝑛𝑘

''Can I get you anything?" asked the bartender. Coulson shook his head and smiled politely.

''No, thank you."

When the bartender left, Phil looked around, trying to see any familiar face in a huge crowd of people dancing to unhealthy loud music. He took the cell phone out of his pants pocket and unlocked the screen to make another attempt to call May. He sighed when it went to the voice's mail.

Suddenly he felt the touch of two delicate hands on his shoulders. ''Hello there, handsome."

Melinda jumped on the stool next to him and leaned nonchalantly on the counter. Her hair was in a mess and she smelled like alcohol. She looked at him with a gleam in her eyes, smiling widely.

''Hello, beautiful," he answered, smiling back.

''What does a man like you do in a place like this alone?"

''Oh, I'm not alone. I'm waiting for my fiancée, she has her bachelorette party here."

''Really? Your fiancée must be very lucky."

''I'd rather say, that I'm the lucky one." He moved closer and leaned in to kiss her. She tasted like tequila and orange juice. ''Where did you lose your companions?"

''The last time I saw them, they were dancing with some guy. Pretty cute one, by the way."

''So I see you're having fun."

''We are, actually. I didn't think it would be that cool."

''I'm glad you enjoyed it. But I think it's enough for you and the girls," he said. May made a face of a sad puppy. Slightly drunk, but above all happy, she looked beautiful.

''What? It's not that late, yet," she opposed, though the glaring eyes and the smell of alcohol were confirming Phil's assumption that she had no idea what time it really was.

''You were suppoused to call me almost two hours ago to pick you up."

''Seriously? I had to lose track of time."

''Not only of time," he laughed under his breath. He stood up, and then grabbed Melinda by the waist to help her get off the stool. She was swaying a lot. ''Come on, let's find Daisy and Jemma and get you all home."

She nodded reluctantly, but obediently and let Coulson lead her through the crowd. 

When they were outside and Daisy and Jemma were safely sitting in the car, she suddenly threw her arms around his neck and kissed him. ''I love you, my husband-to-be," she said with a drunk smile on her lips. Phil shook his head in amusement and tucked a strand of dark hair behind her ear.

''I love you, too, my wife-to-be."