23. | 𝑐𝑜𝑠𝑝𝑙𝑎𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔

Melinda knocked on her daughter's door and opened it slightly, looking inside. ''Dinner is almost ready. Come downstairs in five minuts, alright?"

''Okay," the girl just muttered under her breath and nodded. She was lying on her stomach on her large bed, staring at the object in front of her. May came over and sat on the bed next to her daughter, curious.

''What do you have here, baby?" she asked. Melissa moved the item closer to Melinda so that she could see it, too.

''Your old photo album," she replied, flipping through the pages. ''Daddy let me watch it."

May looked at the album and shook her head in disbelief. She had no idea that Phil was still holding the photos of their youth somewhere. With each next page and each next photo, memories were coming back to life in her mind, bringing a smile to her lips.

''He did, huh? Well, well. Do you like it?"

''Very much!" Melissa turned the next few pages. ''Who's that?" she asked, pointing to a photograph of a young boy dressed up as Frankenstein.

Melinda chuckled under her breath. ''That's your dad."

''No way!"

''That's him, really. It was our first Halloween spent together since we met," she said. Melissa pointed to the next photo of a girl dressed up as a Wicked Witch.

''Is that you, mommy?"

''Yes. I remember everyone being afraid of me then, even your dad." She laughed softly at the memory of Phil's terrified face when they met at the Halloween party at the academy.

The girl tilted her head, staring at the picture. ''I think you looked cute."

''Why, thank you, honey. Speaking of which, I hope you''ll wear your Leia Organa's outfit for tomorrow's collection of sweets with Daisy and Jemma?"

''Mommy, I was Leia last year. I can't be the same character several times in a row."

''Why not? Any time is good to be Leia Organa," Melinda shrugged. ''Alright, so who do you want to be this year?" she asked.

''I was thinking about Mulan," Melissa announced. May pretended to think for a moment, and then nodded.

''I can work with that." She kissed her daughter on top of her head, got up from the bed and headed for the door. ''I'm waiting for you in the kitchen. Just remember to wash your hands."

''Okay, mommy."

When May left the room, Melissa quickly went back to the photo she was looking at at the beginning. Her parents were there, much younger than now. They were standing next to each other, hugging and smiling widely.

Later that day, when Melinda was putting her daughter to sleep, she saw a black and white photo standing on the bedside cabinet next to Melissa's bed. ''Does daddy know that you took the photo out from the album?" she asked. The girl shook her head and closed her eyes, cuddling up with the sheets.

''Not yet," she answered with a sleepy voice. ''But I liked it very much. I hope you will always be as happy as in this photo."

May smiled, feeling the warmth spread through her heart.