16. | 𝑝𝑙𝑎𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑜𝑎𝑟𝑑 𝑔𝑎𝑚𝑒𝑠

''Good morning," said Coulson, still sleepy, entering the dining room. May smiled as he came over to kiss her.

''Morning."

''Hello, daddy," Melissa answered, not taking her eyes off the cards in her hands.

Coulson kissed his daughter on top of her head. ''What are my princesses doing up so early?" he asked.

Melinda and Melissa exchanged mysterious glances. May looked around and leaned over to Coulson, as if she was about to reveal to him the most-kept secret in the world.

''There was a monster under Meilin's bed," she said seriously. The man opened his mouth theatrically.

''No way."

''It was really there. But together we got rid of it!" shouted the girl happily, forgetting about the cards for a moment. Remembering them, she quickly focused again.

''Seriously?"

''Yes. But I can't go back to sleep until we're sure it's not going to return under my bed."

''So we decided to play Uno for a while," Melinda added, and pushed the other chair away from the table with her foot. ''You can play with us if you want." Phil sat down and winked at her. He rubbed his two-day beard, wondering.

''What will the winner get?" he asked.

''There's the last piece of Meilin's birthday cake in the fridge. The winner can eat it all by themself. Is that okay?"

''Oh, yes!" Melissa clapped her hands excitedly, and completely forgetting the current game, she drew all the cards to shuffle them and start a new one. She smiled to herself, dealing seven cards to everyone. ''That piece is already mine."

Coulson nudged her gently under the table. ''I wouldn't be so sure about that."

''We'll see."

''Alright then, let the best win."

Melinda shook her head in amusement and laughed, feeling her heart grow. She has never been more happy in her life.