19. | 𝑛𝑒𝑤 𝑝𝑒𝑡

When they entered the shelter, they were greeted by the sounds of barking, rattling, and all the other sounds that animals could make. After explaining more or less what they were looking for, the volunteer led them to the right place. There was a whole row of pens, and in each of them at least two dogs. Different sizes, colors and races, each was different but all of them were barking joyfully at the sight of people.

They thanked the volunteer and started looking at the dogs closely. Melissa was running from pen to pen with excitement. She was praising each next animal in a different way and it was immediately obvious that she won't be able to choose.

''Can't we just take them all?" she asked.

''Even if we really wanted to, we can't give a good home to them all, Meilin," Coulson replied, leaning over to pet the little york. ''Maybe in some time we'll decide to get more animals, but for now let's start with one, okay?"

The girl nodded reluctantly and walked away. Coulson looked around and approached Melinda, who had moved away from them a few moments ago.

''Do you like any of them?" he asked.

May nodded forward, not looking at him. ''We're taking this one," she said suddenly.

Phil looked into the pen. It seemed empty at first glance, but after a moment he noticed an animal sitting in a corner. It had a dark fur and it was almost blending with the color of the wall. The dog was big, a bit like a German Shepherd. There was nothing special about it.

''Why this one?"

''It's big, so it will protect our daughter. Also, look at its eyes. Compared to the others, it seems to have completely lost the hope that someone will take it in."

After a closer look, the man agreed with his wife. Unlike others, the dog was sitting still, not wagging its tail. It was watching them curiously, but its eyes were sad. It seemed to made peace with its fate a long time ago.

''We're taking this one," Melinda reapeated.

''I love him!" squeaked Melissa, who suddenly appeared next to them. Phil smiled.

''Alright, then. I'll tell that man that we've decided."

After completing all formalities, Rogers, because that was the name the dog got, officially became a new member of the family.