07. | 𝑤𝘩𝑒𝑛 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑡𝘩𝑒𝑚 𝑖𝑠 𝑖𝑙𝑙

Coulson looked up from the papers he was now filling when a knock sounded at his office door.

''Come in!"

It was Daisy. She came in and stood in front of his desk. She was silent, biting her lip and playing with her fingers. She looked worried.

''I don't want to disturb, but..." she broke off in half a sentence, as if she couldn't find the right words. Coulson put down the pen he was holding and looked at her closely.

''What happened, Daisy?" he asked.

The girl swallowed. ''I think... I think that May's dying."

''What?" he frowned, suprised. ''What do you mean, May's dying?"

''She looks like she is, but I'm afraid to come closer to her and ask."

''Where is she?"

''I last saw her in the kitchen."

The man got up and started going down the hall, now also worried. What could happen that Daisy got so scared?

When he reached the kitchen, he found Melinda standing on her tiptoes and reaching up for her tea from the cupboard. If he wasn't concerned for her health, Coulson would think she looked really cute right now.

''Hey, you alright?" When May turned to him, he understood what was going on right away. ''Oh, I guess you're not."

She was paler than usual, with dark circles under her eyes and a red nose. She had a cold. He knew her well and knew that she was trying not to show that something was wrong at all costs and usually it was working. Cold symptoms were the few she couldn't hide, so that's why the younger agent reacted this way.

He came to her already calmer and reached for tea. She took it from him, sniffing. ''I could do it myself," she said, tossing the bag into a cup and pouring boiling water over it. Phil laughed under his breath when she sneezed.

''You're sick."

''No, I'm not. I'm fine."

''But you don't look fine. Poor Daisy thought you were dying." He put a hand to her forehead, it was much warmer than it should be.'''You have a fever."

''I'm telling you, I'm okay."

''Sure. Go to bed, now."

''Phil..."

''It wasn't a request, it was an order. But fine, we'll do it your way."

Taking advantage of her inattention, he quickly grabbed her under her legs and took her in his arms. She was pulling away for a moment, but he held her tight. He carried her all the way to her cabin, where he laid her on the bed. She sat on it furious and watched him searching for a blanket.

''You're impossible," she said. He raised his eyebrows in amusement.

''More than you?" he replied, and she just rolled her eyes. He handed her a fluffy blanket. ''Lie down and cover yourself. I'll go get your tea, I'll be right back."

''I'm not a child."

''Then stop acting like one. You're sick and you need to rest. Let me take care of you."

She raised her hands in surrender and obediently lay down, burying herself under a warm blanket. He smiled and left.

When he returned with her tea, Melinda was already sound asleep. He set the cup on the bedside table and pulled the blanket tighter on her shoulders. Before leaving, he kissed her gently on the forehead.

He could have sworn that the brunette smiled slightly in her sleep.