05. | 𝑔𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑙𝑜𝑠𝑡 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑤𝘩𝑒𝑟𝑒

''I just can't believe that we've  failed the first mission in our career. That's it, we're done. Fury's gonna demand our heads."

''Hey, it's not that bad. We can't be lost that much."

''We're passing this damn forester's lodge for the third time, Phil!"

Phil looked around, scratching his head. They were in the middle of a forest, with only one cellphone which battery was low. They didn't have a car, their backpacks or more people for support. This was to be their first alone mission. And though reluctantly, Coulson had to admit that May was right. They were totally lost.

''So what now?" he asked uncertainly. Melinda glared at him.

''I don't know, figure something out! After all, it was your idea to take a short way!"

After two hours, which seemed to go on forever, they still didn't come out with anything, but they were lucky enough and managed to use what was left of the phone's battery level. They sent a message asking for help to the headquarters, giving all the characteristic details that could possibly help with finding them.

Waiting for the rescue team, they were sitting on a fallen tree, reaching out toward the fire they had lit. Phil glanced at Melinda, who had been silent for a long time. He passed her the only bottle of water they had with them and sighed when she refused with a shook of her head.

''You're right, it's all my fault," he said. ''I should have listened to you and follow the original path. I'm sorry."

''Don't," she replied quietly. ''It's not your fault."

He knew how much this mission meant to her. How much she wanted everything to go as planned. She wanted to show everyone, and above all herself, that she was suitable as an agent and that she managed alone in an organization other than the CIA, where if she had decided, thanks to her mother a place would have been waiting for her right away. And despite her assurances, Phil felt guilty for taking that chance away from her.

''Don't worry about Fury, he won't be angry. And even if he is, I'll explain everything to him and take the blame on me. It'll be fine, you'll see." She just nodded in response. After a few more minutes, Phil noticed that she was shaking. ''Are you cold?"

''Yeah, a little."

He took off his jacket and threw it over her shoulders, then embraced her and gently pushed her closer to him. She snuggled into his chest gratefully.

''Everything's going to be alright," he repeated and kissed her on top of her head.