24. | 𝑏𝑖𝑟𝑡𝘩𝑑𝑎𝑦

Melinda rolled over on the other side and opened her eyelids slightly, not yet fully awake. She didn't know what time it was. The sun's rays were getting through the large windows to the bedroom and warming her skin pleasantly.

When she opened her eyes wider, she saw the reason why she woke up at all, in front of her. Beside the bed she was lying on, her husband and daughter were standing, watching her with smiles. The woman returned the gesture uncertainly.

''Hello, mommy," Melissa greeted her, clearly excited. She kept her hands behind her, hiding something.

May rubbed her eyes, wiping away the rest of her sleep, and rose slightly on her elbows. ''Hello, baby," she answered. The girl jumped on the bed. She handed May a card, she was hiding behind her back, and then threw her small arms around her neck.

''Happy birthday!"

''Oh, you remembered." She hugged her daughter tightly, kissing her on the cheek. She looked at the card, which had a drawing of her and the inscription "I love you, mommy!" on it. ''It's beautiful. Thank you, sweetheart."

''Daddy has a gift for you, too."

''He has?" she asked, looking at Coulson. It was only now that she noticed that he was also holding something behind his back. He sat on the bed in front of Melinda and pulled out a huge bouquet of her favorite purple roses.

''Happy birthday, my darling," he said, handing her a bouquet.

May hid her face in the flowers, enjoying the sweet scent. She smiled, looking at her family with love. ''Thank you both, you're amazing. I love you."

''We love you, too."

Melissa moved closer and cuddled to the brunette's side, and Phil put his arm around his girls. He put a hand on Melinda's cheek and looked at her in the way that always made her feel butterflies in her belly. Their lips joined in a sweet kiss. They didn't need more words.

It was the best birthday May had had in many, many years.