28. | 𝑎𝑝𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑔𝑦

''Hello?" a voice said on the other side of the line.

''Where is she?" Phil asked, not greeting or trying for a friendly tone.

Daisy sighed on the other side. ''I'm not sure if she wants..."

''I didn't ask if she wants to see me," he cut her off. ''I asked where she is."

He knew that Daisy was the person Melinda trusted the most, and that she was the first May would ask for help. She wasn't answering calls from him, but Phil knew she had to contact someone. Apart from him, there was no one else for her to inform about her plans.

It's been an hour since Coulson found the house empty. He was getting out of his mind with worry. Melinda had never left home without a word for so long before, let alone bring Melissa with her. But again, this wasn't a normal situation. She got attacked by a person whom she would expect as the last one to do such a stupid thing. With each passing moment his guilt was consuming him more and more. He was nervous and all he wanted now was to see his wife and daughter. To fix everything.

''Coulson, I really shouldn't..."

''She's with you, isn't she?" he asked again. Daisy was silent, which was an answer itself. ''Send a quinjet for me, please," he said and hung up, not giving the girl a chance to speak. He knew he was acting like an asshole, but he couldn't help it. The most important thing right now was to apologize to May. He'll apologize to Daisy later. Idiot.

When after another hour he was finally in the base, he didn't care about the agents' suprised looks as he walked quickly down the corridor, heading for the only place May could be in. Arriving at the door of her former room, he knocked briefly, and then entered without waiting for an invitation.

They were both there. Their daughter was sleeping peacefully on Melinda's old bed, covered with a blanket, hugging her teddy bear. The woman was sitting on the floor next to the bed, stroking the girl's head. And although she was sitting back to him and the room was dim, Phil could see her small body shaking with sobs. The sight made tears well up in his own eyes.

He approached her slowly, and when she didn't react, he knelt beside her and pulled her as close to him as possible. She didn't fight him. She leaned against him, tired, and cried. And though she was doing it almost soundlessly, careful not to wake Melissa, Phil could feel her tears quickly soak his shirt. He closed his eyes, kissed her on top of her head and began to stroke her hair, rocking her in his arms like a child. And she was crying.

''I'm sorry," he whispered through his own tears. ''I love you so much, Melinda. Please, forgive me. I'm sorry."

In response, she only hid in his embrace even more, becoming as small as never before. Too small to hold the weight of all the horrible things that happened to her in her life.

Phil promised himself that he would never hurt her in any way again, and will do everything in his power to protect her.

Even from himself.