A Sudden Proposal

It was Sunday, Sarah's day off from hospital. Just chilling and lazing around. She didn't eat all day long because she was too tired to cook something, now she was hungry. She was still debating with herself Whether she should order something or sleep.

Hearing the door bell, she came back to reality. who in the heavens is here? She walked towards the door with lazy steps. Opening the door, she rolled my eyes, "hey sweetie how are you?"

"I'm good" Sarah replied nonchalantly, "please come in.. Mother." She smiled and gladly came inside, sat on the sofa like a perfect lady.

"What brings you here?" Sarah asked as she sat across her. Her lazy-self was gone now. "What kind of question is that?" She asked in stern tone, "can't I visit my own daughter who has forgotten me?"

Sarah wanted to sneer loudly. What a joke, like she care about her.

"Why didn't you come to the mansion?"

"I was busy. Had some patients waiting for me."

"You could have taken a day off. Those patients could have another appointment."

"Being a doctor is no joke, Mom" she always say that word like, you know, adding a little pressure so that her mother can realize that I don't like her. But she doesn't.

"And family is no joke too."

"Family?" Sarah forced out a laugh, "you are so funny" Sarah showed her mom a fake smile. She wonder how long its been, since she smiled genuinely.

"Sarah behave yourself and sit straight!" Her mom ordered. Sarah inhaled deeply and plopped down more, she didn't care. "You are becoming more and more rude!"

"If you are here to argue with me" she looked at Eva (her mom) "please leave."

"I'm not arguing. I just asked why you didn't come?" Eva was raising her voice. Sarah was losing her temper too.

"It was you guys who decided to make me a doctor. Now I am a doctor and doctors don't have to go on stupid gatherings" Sarah replied, her voice tainted with anger. She looked away, Sarah knew Eva was staring at me.

Silence.

She spoke again, "let's forget about that, honey. I'm here to spend time with you." Sarah's eyes didn't leave the floor.

Oh great!

"It's time for dinner, what did you cook. Hmm? Let's eat together" she said gently, "what did you cook?" She asked again.

"...nothing" she replied bluntly. "Oh God, Sarah? Why are you so lazy?" Eva sighed, "but since I am here. I'll cook for you honey" she smiled and went towards the kitchen.

Sarah didn't know why but suddenly she felt like crying. Her chest felt heavy...

"Don't just sit there, come and help." While she washed the rice, Eva kept talking about random stuff and Sarah only replied when it was needed. Though Eva had changed, showing her daughter gentleness and care, it won't do anything now.

It's too late...

Now Sarah don't care if they change their behavior towards her or not, care about her or not. Things would have been better if Eva showed her this gentleness and sweetness when she needed it. Now they are just wasting their time.

    They sat down at the table, eating, a comfortable silence, well at least for Sarah. She could see that Eva hesitating, she wanted to say something but Sarah kept quiet. "Did you like bibimbap? Eat more dear."

"Hmm it's good," besides everything. Eva's cooking was really good. Her Mom cleared her throat, Sarah wondered, what was it that was making her so nervous.

      Sarah hated it when Eva stared at her, just like now, "if you want to say something just say it. Don't just stare at me" Sarah finally said as she looked up from her plate. Eva let out a nervous laugh but didn't say anything. I started eating again.

"How many times have I told you not to pull that long face? You look ugly." Eva began.

"Because I am ugly."

"Smile Sarah!" she said, Sarah didn't. Her mother sighed in defeat.

"You know-" Eva began  "-two days ago, your father's friend came." Sarah just hummed in response, not really paying attention.

"You know the reason why he was here?" She narrowed her eyes at her mom and bit her inner cheek, seeing that unknown smile plastered on Eva's face. "No" Sarah replied unposed. "They brought a proposal for you. To marry their son."

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"No.." Sarah replied unfazed. Like what the hell? Please keep your proposal to yourself. "Sweetie... The guy is handsome, famous and he is rich. I know you will live happily-"

"I. said. no" Sarah replied looking directly into her eyes which she knew was very  disrespectful thing. But  she was fed up already.

"Don't you dare stare at me like that Kang Sarah! I'll rip your eyes out, look down!" Sarah was still staring, "I said look down!" Eva yelled banging her hand on the table. After a few seconds her daughter finally looked away.

Eva sighed loudly, "listen first. Do you even know who he is-"

And there, Sarah zoned out, 'marriage? Not in my nightmares I would have thought about marriage. And what is this, brought a proposal for you? It's not 90s or 80s. I can't take it anymore. They are no one to decide such an important matter by themselves. I felt angry, angry can't even describe my situation right now.'

"I have work tomorrow, it's getting late.." Sarah told her mom who was constantly ranting about the guy. "Kang Sarah I am talking to you!"

"But I am not!" Sarah snapped.

"Whether you like it or not, you are going to get married!" She screeched.

"Whatever you say. You and I both know you can't make me marry to whoever you want to" Sarah replied nonchalantly. "Your father gave his words to them" she declared.

"None of my business. And he didn't even think once about my opinion? I won't marry anyone."

"I didn't ask you, I'm telling you."

"No, you can't, it's my life and you don't have any right to take any decisions in my life."

"Oh I don't? You can't say that, I raised you. You eat good and studied good because of your father. You got everything you need from the day you came in this world and till now. And you are telling me I don't have any right on you."

"I didn't ask for any of that, I didn't ask you to give me birth.. And if you did, it was your responsibility to care for me."

"SARAH!! .....listen "

Sarah stopped listening again, lost in her own thoughts . Eva was right Sarah eat their food and they spend their money on her. But if she knew that everything is going to be like this...

'I wish I died the day I was born. How can I pay them back, By marring someone I don't know? I didn't plan on marrying yet or maybe never. Just what the fuck is happening. I need some space, I need time to think.'

"okay! I am leaving " Sarah stood abruptly.

Eva stopped, "What?"

"Please lock the door when you leave." Sarah said as she picked her bike's key and helmet and left the house. She could hear Eva calling her name but.. Who cares.

Sarah was driving, not knowing where, lost in her own thoughts... She just wanted go away from everything else.

     She stopped near a bridge and glanced at her phone it's 3:00 A.M. and there were 43 missed call and 19 messages. Not bothering to call back or see the message, she sat on the edge off the bridge, thinking was there anyone else whose life was just like her's. She thought of jumping in the water but...

'I am a coward.'

A lots of thoughts were running through mind. She never knew there would be a day like this...