TWELVE

❝Let's do something❞

Ifrah hissed as her wrist throbbed once again and looked up at her husband who was walking ahead of her with a slight limp in his right foot

Ifrah hissed as her wrist throbbed once again and looked up at her husband who was walking ahead of her with a slight limp in his right foot. They were going back to the hut because it was getting dark but Aayan had made sure to hang the signs so they can continue their search tomorrow. She was actually feeling a bit anxious after the whole shirt scenario, and the fact that Aayan had not uttered a single word after that made it worse.

Her eyes drifted towards his right foot and she bit her lip.

He shouldn't put too much pressure on it.

The graze was actually a mild one, but she was still paranoid. What if it catches infection? She hoped it didn't, because her wrist was already bad, and his foot getting damaged would only increase their worries. Aayan had thought that he stepped over a broken glass while in fact it was just a very sharp rock which was jutting out from the mud. She was pulled out from her reverie when Aayan paused and turned around.

He stared at her for a moment or two (which made her frown) before speaking. “Do you think we can survive with that bag of chips for tonight?”

Ifrah's lips turned into a straight line. What was she supposed to say? Her stomach was telling her that it wasn't enough, but her brain said that she should just be grateful for having whatever they had, even if it was short.

“I'm mainly asking about you,” Aayan's voice broke her train of thought and she looked at him. “Because I know you don't like bananas that much, I'll only collect them for me. You can have the chips to yourself.”

What?

Was he... being considerate?

I am dreaming, there's no way he's being nice.

“I— um... ” she stammered, mentally slapping herself, before; “Just collect the bananas, we'll decide who's eating what when we reach the hut.”

“That rhymed.” he pointed out with a hint of amusement in his tone, causing Ifrah's face to catch colour, before shrugging his shoulders and continuing back on the way.

What's wrong with him?

Ifrah stared hard at the back of his head with furrowed brows. First, the unusual quietness and now, this sudden act of kindness.

Did that injury caused some of his blood cells to mutilate and he got his DNA damaged?

She quickly shook her head.

What the eff am I thinking? This is not some science fiction movie!

“You good back there?” Once again, her husband's voice snapped her out of her thinking.

“Why— ” Act nice, Ifrah! It was just a question. She cleared her throat. “Yeah, I'm good.”

“Okay.”