FIFTEEN

❝It's all messed up❞

Aayan didn't return.

After Ifrah had gathered herself, she sat in the hut waiting for him, in hopes that he would eventually return like he did before. He had only stormed out of here in fury, right? It wasn't like he will actually leave her alone in the forest. He would be back when he's cooled down, and maybe then they could discuss the matter in a civilized manner.

A heavy feeling of guilt had settled in Ifrah's heart; she shouldn't have reacted like that. She could've handled the situation more appropriately. But her mind had stopped working the moment she saw the pack of cigarettes.

Aayan's image of smoking had appeared before her eyes; making her blood run cold and she lost it.

She couldn't believe that her childhood friend was among those people who smoked their lives away, not bothering to even think about the loved ones they'd be leaving behind if that stupid tar finally got hold of their lungs and squeezed.

Did they not care that they were actually playing with the biggest blessing Allah has given them— life itself?

Was it that inconsequential?

Ifrah felt nauseous; she didn't want Aayan to be one of those people. It was the moment she realized that their friendship had really fell apart. Maybe it had been for ages, but it was finally coming down on her as a brutal realization. She didn't know what kind of man he was anymore.

When was the last time they genuinely passed each other a smile?

Or said Salam while accidentally crossing each other in the mall?

Her heart lurched.

She couldn't remember.

After the night of Aayan's sixteenth birthday, they'd stopped talking. The only time they saw each other after that was during some stupid house parties their parents held, and even then they were forced to attend. Maybe that was the reason Ifrah had felt like a bomb had dropped on her when her parents told her that she was to marry him.

They should've talked about whatever happened that night; they could've got a closure if not anything else.

A sick feeling made its way to her body, and she wrapped her arms around herself a little tighter. Aayan should come back now, she will listen to whatever reason he have for smoking and then...

Then what?

Will he listen to her if she'll tell him to quit it?

It's all messed up.

She thought while burying her head between her knees and inhaling a deep breath. Tears were threatening to spill out of her eyes but she didn't cry. There was no point of it, anyway.