TWENTY

❝What if we don't make it out of here?❞

Ifrah swatted Aayan's hand for the hundredth time as he tried to pull her cheek

Ifrah swatted Aayan's hand for the hundredth time as he tried to pull her cheek. She moved her head away from his chest and threw him a glare.

“One more time and I'm gonna go sleep in the other corner.” she warned.

Her husband furrowed his eyebrows. “But you'll get cold.”

“Shut up.”

“Okay, babe.”

He pushed her head back on his chest and sighed. They had finished eating and were now preparing to sleep. Aayan crossed his legs at the ankles from where thy lied near the fire but he accidentally bumped Ifrah's feet and her head snapped up.

Tumhy kya museebat hai?” (What's your problem?) she asked with a glare.

He smiled sheepishly. “It was an accident.”

Ifrah kept glaring at him while slowly placing her head back. “I'm really not in the mood.”

“What's wrong?” he asked while rubbing her arm. She closed her eyes with a deep inhale.

“I don't know... I'm just tired of being stuck here.” she murmured.

Aayan pursed his lips.

“Me too.” he said softly.

A comfortable silence enveloped them for a while before Ifrah spoke again, her voice so low that he couldn't have heard it with the heavy pitter patter if she weren't locked up at his side.

“What if we don't make it out of here?”

Aayan's heart clenched painfully at the depression in her tone and he squeezed her close.

“Listen to me carefully; we're gonna make it out of here. I'll make sure of that. The tourist boat will come again and we will be there to receive it on the shore, okay?” his voice was strong which helped Ifrah with the sudden cloud of pessimism. “In fact, they'd have known by now that we're missing.”

“Then why didn't they come back?” she couldn't help but ask with a sour expression.

“Maybe they did and couldn't find us...” he trailed off before he realized how depressing that sounded and changed his words.

“I mean, it's just a hunch. But considering the storms, I don't think they visited again.”

When she meekly nodded her head after some seconds, he breathed a sigh of relief.

Nice save, loser.

He moved his hand which wasn't supporting her head to pull her cheek and she actually clawed it with her nails this time, making him hiss in pain.

“What the fück, woman?!” he cried out.

Kaha tha mujhy na tang krna.” (Told you to not bother me.) she replied, unimpressed, while getting comfortable and closing her eyes.