SIXTEEN

❝We were just kids when we fell in love❞

Aayan kept quiet as his wife stood there in front of him, crying into the palm of her hands

Aayan kept quiet as his wife stood there in front of him, crying into the palm of her hands. His own were folded into fists at his side while he contemplated whether he should step forward and console her or just stay the fück where he was. When Ifrah turned away from him and went to go near the lake, he got his answer.

So, he stayed the fück where he was.

He watched her for some moments; her shoulders weren't shaking anymore, so he got the idea that she'd stopped crying. He was somewhat relived. After staring at her back for another few seconds, he decided to go back and collect some branches to light the fire; the night was getting colder. Ifrah had sat down near the water by now.

Aayan came back after a while with some branches and dropped them on the ground before taking off his backpack and retrieving a coconut and his lighter. His caramel eyes darted towards Ifrah as he started the fire and watched her while she took off her shoes to cradle her feet in her hands.

He gulped.

Was she injured?

Never in his life he had felt this strong urge to throw himself off Burj Khalifa and hug her.

She was crying because of him, and he felt like the worst man alive.

The fire had started by now and he silently sat there in hopes that she'd come to sit in front of it on her own, because Lord knows he didn't have any idea what to do at the moment. He was really a loser.

His breath caught in his throat when Ifrah looked over her shoulder for a second before turning back around. A beat of silence passed before she stood up from the spot and swiveled on her feet, shoes in hand, to come and sit in front of the flames; opposing him.

An awkward atmosphere descended on them as they sat there without saying anything. Ifrah's lower lip wobbled when she caught her husband's face in the light of the fire and she burst out in tears once again.

Aayan looked at her in alarm as she glared at him.

“You left me alone for a whole day!” she started, making him cringe and he ducked his head in shame.

“I waited for the whole night but you didn't return. I know my reaction was a little too much but who does that?!”

He clenched his jaw.

“We're stranded on a freaking island with no idea of how and when we'll get out of here, my wrist is broken, I lost my fudging camera which was a birthday gift for your kind information, and it's been days since I last took a shower!”

All of the frustration from the past few days was finally coming out and Ifrah had burst like a volcano.

“I miss my parents, I miss home. There's a effing pimple on my face, my hair are all greasy and you know what's the worst part? I'm stuck here with you.” she spat out the last word like it was a curse before sobbing into her hands.