TWENTY ONE

❝How dare you fall sick?❞

Ifrah was on the verge of insanity

Half of the day had gone by her trying to get his temperature down to normal and she'd been somewhat successful but the disappointing part was that Aayan still hadn't opened his eyes. She had made at least eight trips to the river to fill up the water bottle again and again, and now her body was giving up on her despite her constant tries to keep it upright.

She hated it all.

She hated this island, and the fact that they were stranded here.

Most of all, she hated herself. If she didn't ask Aayan to go on that stupid tour, they'd have been in their hotel right now and...

They'd have been fighting.

Her breath stuttered when the thought hit her and she blinked back her tears for the hundredth time that day before picking the damp napkin from her husband's forehead and wetting it again with fresh water from the bottle.

The misunderstanding would've been still there if they didn't get stuck here.

Ifrah gulped and moved forward to grab Aayan's head and placed it in her lap.

Everything happens for a reason. We just get so overwhelmed with the bigger things that we don't notice the smaller stuff which has gone right.

With that new belief, she swallowed all the negativity which was burning inside her and said 'alhamdullilah' under her breath.

They were still alive. And they were going to stay alive, no matter what.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

The campfire was slowly burning out. Ifrah's head lolled forward while she was dozing off and it made her head snap up; the action pulling a vein in her neck and she hissed.

She blinked the haze from her eyes and stared at her husband's face before feeling his forehead. Relief washed over her when she realized that the temperature has come down and she pressed her lips to his head ever so softly.

“Wake up, now.” she mumbled, her lips lingering at the spot before she moved back. “Please... ”

No movement or reply.

She inhaled deeply before her eyes fell on the fire which was nearing its end and they widened. Her head whipped to the window and she saw that the sun has already set.

“Oh no.” she whispered before carefully placing his head back on the floor and stood up. Ifrah grabbed her phone and was going to run out to look for some dry branches but another thought made her turn and she picked up Aayan's water bottle before storming out of there.