TWENTY TWO

❝Wanna go wild in the wild, babe?❞

Aayan ruffled his raven hair before scratching the stubble on his jaw in irritation as he walked under the shadows of the trees on a similar path

Aayan ruffled his raven hair before scratching the stubble on his jaw in irritation as he walked under the shadows of the trees on a similar path. He stole a glance at his wife from the corner of his eyes who was walking beside him and slightly squeezed her right hand to get her attention.

Ifrah snapped out of her thoughts and looked up at him with a questioning expression.

“A penny for your thoughts.” he said.

She pursed her lips before focusing her attention back on the front. “Nothing.”

He waited for some seconds to hear more but that was it. Ifrah didn't say anything else and he frowned without probing her anymore.

It's been three days since he fell sick and Ifrah had been lost in some depressive world all along. She took care of him for those three days; making sure that he kept himself hydrated and forcing him to eat whatever fruit they could find even if he said that he didn't want any. When Aayan had started feeling better, he decided that they'd not return to the hut again when they'll start to look for a way out once again.

Ifrah had not been okay with it but when he explained the reason, she agreed.

“I guess one of the reason we can't get out is that we know there's a safe place for us to stay if we're not successful.” he had said. “When our minds would get the idea that we don't have any place to spend the night, we would automatically try harder instead of just trecking along the same path like we're on some fücking picnic. So, we're gonna make ourselves feel desperate because desperation can make you do anything; even if it means finding an exit to a damn forest.”

They were nearing the lake now and a bulb flashed on the top of Aayan's head before he stopped in his tracks and Ifrah stared at him with furrowed brows.

“What happened?” she asked. Her eyes widened when Aayan pulled her flush against him and tucked her hair behind her ear which had escaped from her ponytail.

“It's nothing... ” he murmured while resting his forehead against hers. “I just felt like admiring my wife.”

Ifrah was caught off by his sudden change in demeanor but his words brought a blush on her cheeks none the less.

“Okay.” she whispered before clearing her throat when she found him staring intensely at her lips. “So, you done?”

Aayan blinked and looked in her light hazel eyes. “What?”

“Are you done admiring?”

Is she for real?!

His eyebrow creased together in an adorable way before he shook his head.

“Nope. It will take some time, I'd advise you to be patient 'till I'm finished.” he said with a poker face.

Ifrah bit the inside of her cheek and focused her gaze on his jaw, because she couldn't look him in the eyes.