Chapter 3

Getting Organized

As Tom and Harry made their way down Diagon Alley toward the designated apparition spot, Harry still remained in a stunned silence. Bill had to stay behind at the bank, due to having to take care of some work related things, so Tom and Harry walked along in silence. When they reached the apparition spot however, Harry finally shook himself out of his thoughts.

"It's kind of funny though, if you think about it." He said looking at Tom. "I'm the heir of Gryffindor and you're the heir of Slytherin." He said with a chuckle.

"Well we knew the one just not the other." Tom grinned. "And with us being heirs to the Peverells make us cousins. Distantly of course, but still family."

"Well the thing is, I knew I was related to the Peverells but I didn't know I was an heir. I figured I was just a Potter heir." Harry shrugged.

"You knew? How?" Tom asked curiously.

"That's a long story. I'll have to tell you when we get home."

Suddenly there was a small pop, and both boys looked up to see a tall, stern looking witch with square spectacles, standing in front of them.

She gasped out loud. "Mr. Potter…you…what…" She stuttered clasping her chest.

"Professor McGonagall!" Harry exclaimed shuffling backwards a few steps.

"Mr. Potter, first of all," she said, grabbing his arm and pulling him off to the side. "Never stand around in an apparition zone. You will get landed on. Second, why are you standing around in an apparition zone? Third, why are you not at your relatives?" She asked pointedly and glared at him.

"Well…I…uh…" Harry stuttered, but then he sighed. "Death strikes again." He groaned, looking skyward and glaring. "Well Professor, my friend Tom and I were just on the way home. He will be starting 5th year and we had to make a stop at Gringotts."

"What do you mean you were on the way home? Mr. Potter, you are not able to apparate." She said, looking at the two boys. She stopped and stared at Tom, then her gaze traveled to his eyes, and she gave a small gasp. "Mr. Potter, are you ok?" She asked, taking a few steps backwards.

"Yes ma'am. I know what you must be thinking."

"Do you think Death wants us to tell her?" Tom asked nervously. "I think she knows."

"Mr. Pot-Potter you need to come w-with me." She gasped. "It's him. It's You-Know-Who."

"No Professor, you need to know the truth. Perhaps you should sit down on this bench. Tom," he said, reaching into his pockets. "Will you go to the apothecary and grab a readymade calming drought? She may need it." He asked, handing him a hand full of galleons.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay Harry? At least for just a moment?"

"Yeah. Just hang on." He said, after thinking a moment, then he turned to the near hysterical witch. "Professor McGonagall look at me please." He said, he said getting her attention. Then he looked at her and spoke very deliberately and firmly. "Minerva McGonagall, there is something you need to know. You need to know the truth." He said, looking straight into her eyes.

Professor McGonagall suddenly went limp, and her eyes glazed over.

"Merlin! Oh Merlin! Oh no…oh my…Harry…no…" She stuttered and gasped, as her arms started thrashing around.

"Tom?"

"Yep. I'll be back in a moment." He said, turning to run down the small square alcove back toward the main Alley. He side stepped a startled wizard who had just landed, shouted an apology, and kept running.