Chapter 16

Destruction, Mayhem, and Bottled Killing Curses

Even with getting only a few hours of sleep, Harry felt well rested. However, he was getting a bit tired of the rainbows and unicorns in his dreams. Now he definitely knew Death was behind them, and Harry was going to have a little talk with him. It was probably Death's own little joke.

Despite of all the cuteness of his dreams, or perhaps because of them, Harry was only in a semi-good mood when his eyes fluttered open, but that changed quickly when he groaned and rolled over. Luna's big, bright, silvery grey eyes were staring back at him, and she smiled as he groped for his glasses and shoved them on his face.

"Good morning sleepy head. Or should I say, good afternoon?" She said in her normal dreamy way.

"Luna!" Harry exclaimed, with a giant smile spreading across his face. "How are you? How do you feel? Are you ok?" He asked, trying to untangle himself from the lime green hammock that had been his bed. He fell out of it and landed on the floor with a loud thump, but thankfully he was only a few inches off the ground to begin with.

She looked at him curiously. "Are you ok? You hit your elbow you know."

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." He replied, rubbing his elbow absentmindedly.

"Tom and the others are awake, but they haven't been awake for very long. They have already left for Gryffindor Tower. I didn't want to leave until you woke up." She informed him.

"Oh, ok. Thanks. I would have been worried. How are you doing?"

"I'm fine. Fate is really nice, and I learned how to handle the gift. She is very pleased with it, and me. She said that I handled myself very well for my test run. Fate expected me to be a bit afraid, but I have a handle on it now, and I am very happy with it. So far this morning I have observed Cormac McLaggen bullying a 1st year, and I called him out on it. He stopped after that." She said with a shrug.

"A test run?" Harry asked with a frown.

"Yes, but its ok Harry. Fate said it had to be that way. I am really truly happy with my new gift. The twins call me a walking, talking Marauder's Map." She said with a smile. "Tom didn't like the words 'test run' either, but I think I have him calmed down a little bit. He was a bit upset too."

"I just don't like one of my best friends being used as a guinea pig." He said.

Luna laughed. "You and Tom really are like brothers. He said the same thing. I really am fine Harry."

"What is it like?"

"Well it's kind of weird really. 'Hogwarts' is like another subconscious in my brain." She said, tapping the side of her head. "I see everything through a very thin golden veil. I can see, hear, and smell everything around me, and I know where everyone is at any given time, but I cannot interact with them. That is the only drawback. So if some meanie is fixing to hex a 1st year, I can't physically stop it, but I can alert someone who can."

"Does it interfere with your life?"

"No." She answered, shaking her head. "It won't interfere with my studies or day to day activities. It's just there. It's always 'on', even if I'm sleeping, and I don't even have to wake up to become 'Hogwarts' like I have in the past. It truly is a remarkable gift Harry." She said with a smile. "You don't have to worry."

Harry finally relaxed and allowed himself to smile. Then he pulled her into a hug. "I just want you to be safe. I'm sorry for the barrage of questions." He mumbled into her hair. "I don't want anyone to get hurt this time because of me. I don't want anyone to die again because of me. I don't want anyone to die for me ever again, and I don't want anyone to suffer because of me."