Chapter 17

Horror on the Quidditch Pitch

It was Monday morning, and Amelia Bones warily eyed the blond aristocrat talking to the Minister, but she waited until their conversation was over before approaching him.

"Mr. Malfoy, may I have a moment of your time?" She asked, and watched as he visibly stiffened.

"I'm afraid I don't have the time…"

"Please make time Mr. Malfoy. Tom will not be pleased if you don't." She whispered.

Lucius raised one of his perfectly manicured eyebrows and slightly nodded his head. "Lead the way Madam Bones." He said.

He followed her to the lift, and all the way down to the Auror offices. Just before she entered her own office though, she stopped and looked at a pink haired Auror.

"Tonks. My office."

Tonks quickly rose to her feet and made her way in after Lucius.

"Both of you have a seat." Madam Bones said, and waited until they made themselves comfortable. "First of all let me say Mr. Malfoy, that I know you are/were a Death Eater, but please don't be alarmed. That is not why you're here. Second of all, Tonks, is there any news from home?"

"No ma'am. What Remus sent to you yesterday is all we know. I do know that the whole of Hogwarts now knows, and will no doubt send letters home. They managed to get the word out in a very unique way."

"How so?" She asked, furrowing her brow in confusion.

"A howler sent to Harry by James and Lily." She said with a smirk. "I suspect your niece will give you full details on the proceedings. Sirius and Remus set it up though."

"Very well Tonks, thank you. Please stick around for a moment."

Tonks nodded, but glanced between Madam Bones and Malfoy.

"Now Mr. Malfoy, our mutual friend at Hogwarts assures me that you can be trusted, and also says that you are working on a bill that will help muggle borns have an easier time in our world. First of all, I thank you for that. If anyone can help change the thinking of the pure bloods, it is you. Second of all, I want you to know that you can count on my help. I will help you in any way I can, and I, along with those who side with me, will back you in the Wizengamot."

To say that Lucius was shocked was an understatement. "I must say this is a surprise Madam Bones. I thought you of all people would want…" He glanced at Tonks. "…our mutual friend…locked in Azkaban. Not running around Hogwarts where there are innocent children."

Amelia laughed, and Tonks snorted at his choice of words. "Yes well, 'The Dark Lord' is on the run right now, and I do want to see him locked up in Azkaban. As for our friend Tom Riddle, I would not have thought so either a few months ago, but it is what it is. I have bigger things to deal with. However, I saw you talking to the Minister, and there is something you need to know. He is currently under the Imperius Curse, and is now under the control of Albus Dumbledore. I don't know what you told the Minister a few moments ago, but I hope it wasn't to terribly important. That is what Tonks and I were referring too. I'm not sure if your son Draco is sending you a letter about what happened, but if he doesn't, get him to tell you about it."

"I will." He said, then looked at her curiously. "I must say this is a surprise though, coming from you."

"I know of your Death Eater dealings Mr. Malfoy, but I also know that you showed reluctancy over the various killings and tortures. That is the only thing that is keeping you out of Azkaban. I also know of Crabbe, Goyle, and Nott, but they too have been vouched for by our mutual friend. I trust him, and by extension, you. I hope you can come to say the same about me."