Chapter 10

Awakening

"Harry, you're not going to like this, but Dumbledore got off." Death said shaking his head sadly.

"Where are we?" Harry asked, blinking against the bright light.

"In my office. It's 4am and you're asleep in your dorm."

"Son of MERLIN!" Harry cried, suddenly realizing what Death had just said. "How? How is that possible?"

"He confunded Fudge, Umbridge, Tonks, Moody, and Dawlish just as they got back to the Ministry. I told you he's very powerful. He was able to cast the confundus charm wandlessly. Which is no easy task by the way."

"How could you let this happen?!" Harry shouted, barely keeping himself from flying over Death's desk and knocking him out of his chair.

Death sighed. "I have just had this same go round with Tonks, Moody, Amelia, Minerva, Snape, and Tom. Not to mention your parents. I cannot control Fate and Destiny. I am just the messenger here. There are some things I can control, but things like this I can't. They have their reasons, but keep in mind, they are on your side too. I do not know the reasons why they allowed this to happen though, so please don't ask me to explain them. Just know that whatever Dumbledore says, however he tries to spin his release, it's not true. He confunded them all. I have reversed the effects on Tonks and Moody's minds, but needless to say, they are not happy." He said, looking extremely tired even though he had no flesh.

"Did he get to Madam Bones too?"

Death shook his head. "No, he was gone before she got there. He has already returned to Hogwarts though. Amelia is not happy, to say the least."

"Can she just arrest him again?"

"No, I'm afraid she can't. Dumbledore made Fudge sign a magical contract, and they have come to a peace agreement. Umbridge as well. They both have forbidden Amelia to arrest him again. I could, of course undo it, but Fate and Destiny have other plans. My guess is they want to use that magical contract against him at some point in the future. That is how I got Amelia off my tail." He said with a slight smile. "In a plainer sense, Dumbledore, Fudge, and Umbridge are best friends at the moment, and you and the others are their worst enemy."

Harry groaned at that last comment. "So basically Fate and Destiny are letting Dumbledore dig his own grave, so to speak."

Death's smile got bigger. "Essentially yes. Tom came to the same conclusion. He is already thinking up ways to help Dumbledore further that quest."

Harry chuckled, but then he suddenly stopped. "You said Dumbledore is back at Hogwarts. Are we safe there?"

"Undoubtedly." Death said with a firm nod. "He really does think the castle is alive. You all have done a very good job at making it seem real, but do not become lax in your security measures." He warned.

Harry nodded. "You helped in making it seem real though."

"Yes, I know, but you all have done the leg work. I just step in when I need too."

"Salazar and Godric are going to be so angry." Harry said scratching the back of his head.

"They already are. Well, their physical selves are anyway. You are going to have to break the news of this to their paintings. Trust me when I tell you, they have asked me more than once to send them back just like I did with you and the others, but I cannot."

Harry nodded again. "I understand. Sending them back will have way too many people asking questions. They will think it is some form of dark magic or something."