Chapter 15

Luna's Gift

True to their word, the twins and Marauders held off with their pranks for two months, but those two months were anything but quiet. When Rita's article hit, it caused an explosion. The wizarding world was now calling for Albus Dumbledore's head. Everything that happened to Harry over the summer was brought back into the light, and the fact that parts of Tom's Diary were making their way into The Daily Prophet didn't help Albus a bit.

When people read the entry about a young fifteen year old Tom Riddle crying out for help because of what Dumbledore was doing to him, and that no one believed him, people were angry. They read all about the Chamber of Secrets, Myrtle, and even the part about Dumbledore telling Tom to create the name 'Voldemort'. They read about Tom crying because he had to kill his family, a family who accepted and loved him. They read about his spiral down into the Dark Arts in the hopes that they could help protect him, and they also read about a sixteen year old Tom Riddle who had to use the killing of Myrtle to turn the diary into a horcrux. To say that people were outraged was an understatement. Albus Dumbledore was ruined. He was stripped of all his titles and awards, and a warrant for his arrest was issued. The only problem was, no one could find him.

Death didn't even know where he was, and he had asked Fate and Destiny many times to allow him that knowledge, but they stood firm and told him that things still needed to play out. It wasn't missed though, that Dumbledore had been an unregistered animagus, a large black vulture to be exact. This information was reported to The Daily Prophet so that people could be on the lookout. Tonks had a good laugh over that, and joked that Albus must have thought it could pass for a phoenix. Fawkes hadn't taken too kindly to that.

After the hoopla of the wizarding world calling for Dumbledore's head somewhat died down, people's attention turned to the fact that 'Voldemort' was at Hogwarts. However, given all the evidence against Dumbledore, and the fact that Godric was now Headmaster, and that Salazar and Merlin were there to keep an eye on him, people were willing to forgive…for now. Tom's name couldn't really be cleared until Dumbledore was caught and brought to trial, so in a sense, 'Voldemort' was on a probation of sorts. The students got used to him being there, and he was even willing to help them better understand classwork or homework if no one else was around to help. Harry suspected Death was somehow responsible for the lack of panic.

Godric, Salazar, and Merlin though, were something else. They had caused a hoopla of a different sort. People were coming from all over the wizarding world, and not just Britain, to get a look at Merlin and the Founders. Godric finally pleaded to the masses and begged them to give them space. After all, they had a school to run.

For the last two weeks though, everything had been calm. Well, about as calm as can be expected with a former supposed Dark Lord, the greatest wizard who ever lived, and two of Hogwarts Founders running around. Godric had settled down somewhat and even managed to reign in that temper of his, though Umbridge never failed to make it appear.

Speaking of the pink cladded toad, people that didn't want to be in her classes were dropping out like flies. Fred and George kept those that wanted to get out of her class fully supplied with Skiving Snackboxes, all paid for by Sirius and Harry. Godric, Merlin, and Salazar had come up with a slightly modified version of their original plan. All the students dropping out of Umbridge's classes were to go to Salazar and Merlin. 1st-4th went to Salazar in one classroom, and 5th-7th went to Merlin in another. Umbridge herself didn't know what to think about this. She demanded to know why they were stealing her students, but they kept telling her that they weren't. She also tried her hardest to figure out how the students were deathly sick one minute and perfectly fine the next. It was Neville who revived the term 'Umbridge-itis' from his memories of the last 5th year. She tried to put them all in detention, citing Educational Decree Number Twenty-Five, but students refused to show up to their detentions too, and those that did, promptly got sick.