Chapter 9

Kaycee had no idea what was going on. All she knew was that whatever had happened, it wasn't good.

I mean a grim faced Sean dragging her to the car without explaining anything was a bad enough sign. But what really put Kaycee off was that Audrey didn't even look at her once. She had a habit of looking at Kaycee with hatred at least once in every two hours. But right now, she was looking stressed and nervously glanced towards Sean every now and then, ignoring Kaycee.

Kaycee figured now probably wasn't a good time to interrogate them. So she held back the questions burning in her throat.

When they reached back to their house, Sean didn't even say anything. He got out of the car, and almost teleported into the house, he moved so fast. Audrey followed him silently.

Kaycee opened her mouth to yell what the hell was she supposed to do but they were already inside by that time.

Wondering if they secretly were far-off relatives of Flash, she got out too and offered Dave a smile. But even his smile seemed tight.

What the hell had happened? It was starting to scare her.

She walked inside the house and as she was opening her shoes, she heard voices coming from upstairs.

Audrey and Sean seemed to be arguing.

"But I don't understand, Sean. Why-"

"Audrey, I already told you. Please I don't have time for this."

They were coming back down now and Audrey did not seem happy. To Kaycee's surprise he had a small suitcase in his hand.

"Wha-"

"Get ready now. We're leaving for New York."

Kaycee blinked up at him. He did not seem to be joking.

"Why-"

"Now. Right now."

"Oh, so she gets to go but I don't. Really, Sean I-"

"Audrey, you know we still have three clients left this week. We can't leave them hanging. Besides, Kaycee's going because I'm sure my family would want their daughter-in-law with them at a time like this."

He stepped close to Audrey. She still seemed unconvinced. Cupping her cheeks, he whispered softly, "I can't trust anyone else with our business, babe. You know that."

Audrey sighed and offered him a small smile. Placing her hands on his, she said, "Alright, you go take take care of your dad."

Kaycee wasn't watching the scene unfolding between the two. It made her uncomfortable so she had looked away. But at Audrey's reply she jerked her head towards them.

"Dad? What-"

Sean turned towards her, breaking his and Audrey's eye contact. "Kaycee, just pack now. We're leaving in 30 minutes. I'll tell you on the way."

This time Kaycee did not question him further.

_

Kaycee did not know what to say.

From the corner of her eyes, she saw Sean staring out of the window, his eyes devoid of any emotion.

"Do I.....," Kaycee cautiously asked him, "Do I need to follow any special rules?"

Sean looked at her and Kaycee could swear his eyes had never looked so dull and sad, even though his face remained passive. "No, I think you're good. They won't care anyway."