t w e n t y - t h r e e

when the curtain falls

"Damn right, I'm pretty

"Damn right, I'm pretty."

A sigh was exhaled from between Daniel's parted chapped lips, "I said petty."

"You're just jealous," San said brightly, determined not to let the other boy's grumpiness ruin his glee.

"That you managed to stomp on the foot of that Lee man who accidentally tripped and stepped on you?" Daniel nodded sarcastically, "Of course, very."

"Knew it," the blonde continued on cheerfully. "Talking about Lees, I always found something a little strange about our dear Lee leader."

Daniel cocked a brow, "What now?"

"Why was that guy being sent to boarding schools almost all his life? It's almost as if they didn't want him around or at home. At all." San stroked his chin wistfully. "I mean, he's annoying and all, but I'm sure he's not that annoying, is he? I personally find his brother rather annoying myself, but his family still kept him around."

"Maybe they couldn't stand having two annoying kids in the same household?" Daniel shrugged. "Maybe a preventative measure to avoid the siblings' daily squabbles."

"Hmm, but isn't it a little odd that Mark was completely unexposed to the Lee Clan businesses? He was completely blind to the crap his entire family has been doing until...three or four days before Taemin's death? Isn't that a little too-" the blonde struggled to find the right word to fit." Strange? Suspicious? Doesn't it seem like his whole family is trying to purposely exclude him or something?"

The brunette boy sat up, the cogs of his brain whirling now. San was a fool, but as Winston Churchill once said 'the greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes'. He has a point, Daniel admitted.

"Maybe I might be thinking too much," San continued slowly, "But it seems almost as if they never did plan or even considered Mark's candidacy as the leader of the Clan. Fuck, it's almost as if they didn't even want him to know the Lee Clan exists."

"Taemin was the perfect son. Borned and raised with a capable brain, well-trained body and sweet tongue. Maybe they never expected him to fall so quickly," Daniel tried to counter back confidently, but an overwhelming sense of doubt gutted him. All of this hiding and sneaking around was not a single bit like the loud and rambunctious main branch Lees he'd studied about for years. The Lee Clan was Lee Jinhyung's greatest pride and joy, as the pompous bastard he was, he'd have wanted all his children and grandchildren to know about it, but why was Mark purposely not told anything?

San frowned. "Nothing ever happens without Lee Jinhyung expecting and preparing for it to happen after he went bankrupt in the 80s. You know how that guy is."

Daniel inhaled sharply, "You've something in mind, don't you?"

The blonde flashed him a grin, "Aye."