t w e n t y - f o u r

unfortunate coincidences

Jeon Soyeon was not a fan of Literature

Jeon Soyeon was not a fan of Literature. It was more of a Seulgi thing, but she did read her fair share of those nastily boring books and one of which was the Animal Farm by George Orwell.

The book spoke out to her, strangely, and there was a single iconic sentence Soyeon doubted she'd ever forget; 'all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others'.

It was a paradox that was unfortunately true especially in the very much flawed society we live in. Having money made you powerful, having money made you matter.

"You okay?"

Soyeon jolted, the bottle of antiseptic slipping from her bloody fingers with a clatter. "Fuck," she swore silently, reaching to snatch it back immediately.

The knocks on the flimsy washroom's door became insistent at the lack of response.

"Yeah, give me a moment," she called out, deciding to just splash water over her wounds and bandage it. The injury wasn't that serious anyway.

When she finished wrapping up, she pulled her bloodied shirt back on and unlocked the door.

"Aren't you supposed to be racing the last round?" the girl cocked a brow at the arm-folded Chinese boy.

He ignored her. "You should get that looked at."

"Hospital bills are expensive. I am broke."

Sicheng rolled his eyes, "You just earned an average of 10 million wons per round tonight. Don't tell me you can't afford a single check-up."

Soyeon exhaled a sigh through gritted teeth. "I have bills, a brother and alcohol to pay for with this amount."

The Chinese boy looked like he wanted to say something about that, but he decided to drop it. "Take care of yourself, Jeon. Health is wealth."

"Is this concern I'm hearing? I'm honoured, Cheng." the corner of her lips quirked up slightly as she headed towards her scratched bike. It was an old model, but it ran fast and that was all Soyeon need it to do. "And I see you're wearing a satin shirt again. Which bitch dying tonight?"

"Don't worry, it isn't your best friend," he drawled. "Nor your brother."

"It better not." She swung a leg over the seat and buckled on her helmet. "I won't hesitate to kill you if it is." Soyeon side-eyed the boy. "Are you still buggering Seulgi?"

His shoulder lifted in a casual shrug. "No."

"You better not be lying, scrub," she warned. "Or I'll-"

"Kill me. Yes, we know," Sicheng rolled his eyes. "You know, you seem to care an awful lot about her. Are you sure your feelings towards her are purely platonic?"