t h i r t y - n i n e

陈情未绝

"So what's the plan?"

Both Seulgi and Daniel turned to the boy with a long blink.

"Wait you want in? You're serious?" Daniel spluttered. "It might be a suicide mission if things go not so well, y'know-"

"What? But your Clan leader stated pretty clearly that none of you-" Seulgi said at the same time.

Both siblings cleared their throats awkwardly and a small smirk grew across Soonyoung's lips.

"Jiyong may be my leader, but he does not command my heart," the Kwon boy said with a light-hearted shrug. "I don't have much to live for anyway. I've ticked off everything on my bucketlist already."

It had started raining, so Soonyoung brought the two siblings to his favourite café to seek shelter. Wheein looked visibly surprised to see him with new friends, but she didn't comment on it, instead she ushered them to a cozy corner and took their orders.

There was another customer in the café, but he went out as soon as they settled in, lowering his cap and raising his coat collar as he walked towards the door. Daniel and Seulgi had their backs turned to him as he exited, chattering about something not too important. Soonyoung knew he most probably should have pointed that out to them, but he let it slide, since the man just walked straight out without a single look backwards.

"Bucketlist," Daniel chuckled. "Imagine actually having a bucketlist, Seulgs. Ha ha."

The dark-haired girl whacked him, "Be quiet."

Soonyoung looked at them in puzzlement. "You guys don't have one?"

"We do. It only has one thing on it though," Daniel shot Seulgi a glare, rubbing his head.

"Let me guess: Don't die."

The older boy winked, "Bingo."

"You're making us sound like losers," Seulgi complained. "I mean, we are but-"

As if on cue, Wheein swooped in with three cups of hot coffees. "Drinks are here," she chirped, setting down her tray.

A chorus of 'thank you's rang out as they helped themselves to the coffee cups. As the bartender picked the tray up again, her sleeve drew up, revealing a patch of faded ink just below her elbow. The woman pulled her sleeve down hastily.

"Have we met before?" the dark-haired girl asked the bartender suddenly, looking up at her intently.

"I don't think so," Wheein offered her a kind smile, tugging at the hem of her sleeve almost too anxiously. "I think I'd remember if I've seen a face a face as pretty as yours."

Soonyoung squinted, "Mom, are you flirting?"

The old lady winked, "Yes. Jealous?"